SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.176 Pro] - FR: Execute on Multiple Servers

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.176 Pro] - FR: Execute on Multiple Servers
gemisigo

Post [SA 9.0.176 Pro] - FR: Execute on Multiple Servers Reply with quote
The feature Execute SQL Script on Multiple Servers open a new dialog for setting parameters. One of those is Output to the Screen which I find really useful to keep small things in sync on different servers without involving Source Control or when fetching info. Except that it outputs the results into SE (or into any other it was invoked from) and the window behaves as a modal dialog, that is, it disables the editor it is originated from, meaning that I cannot take a peek at the results until I close the ESSoMS dialog. In case the script would require re-run (for whatever arbitrary reason) I'd end up having to jump back-and forth between the editor and ESSoMS dialog. I'd suppose showing the results in the dialog itself instead would make this a bit more versatile.
Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your suggestion.

Perhaps there is a simple workaround, open the output file in a different instance of SQL Editor or other tool that automatically checks for file changes (Notepad++, etc...). During code execution, every time that output file is modified, you would get a prompt to reload the contents in the editor. Not a graphical dashboard of course, but at least you are able to review results as they are returned.
Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Perhaps there is a simple workaround, open the output file in a different instance of SQL Editor or other tool that automatically checks for file changes (Notepad++, etc...). During code execution, every time that output file is modified, you would get a prompt to reload the contents in the editor. Not a graphical dashboard of course, but at least you are able to review results as they are returned.

Oh, yes, that was an issue I wanted to report but somehow forgot. I've thought about using that as a workaround, though not with refresh, but simply opening it when the execution has finished but it turned out that the value Single File for Output to Files is disregarded. It still puts each result in a separate file.
Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
it turned out that the value Single File for Output to Files is disregarded. It still puts each result in a separate file.

I opened a ticket for this issue #SA0030165
Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
it turned out that the value Single File for Output to Files is disregarded. It still puts each result in a separate file.

This is fixed in the latest build 9.0.194
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:10 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
SysOp wrote:
Quote:

This is fixed in the latest build 9.0.194

It doesn't seem to be. I still get a separate file for each connection with Output to Files set to Single File.
Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:35 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have resubmitted this issue. I got response this morning from the development team indicating the purpose of that option is not we think it is for.
Quote:
Single File for Output to Files" makes it output all result sets to a single file when executing multiple SQL queries for a single connection. A separate file is created for each connection.
We cannot write output from all connections to single file due to parallel execution and I/O operations.

I'm pretty sure that's not the intended behavior here and I asked them if it would be possible to revise the behavior and develop a method to have outputs from all connections to be written to a single log file. I hope to get a positive response to my change request.
Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:39 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
There is a setting name Parallel Execution and it is set Yes. I understand processing the data that comes all in from different sources at the same time could cause some issues. And I can imagine it could be of some benefit to shove all data into a single file. But if the dev team is already examining this problem, could you ask them to check if showing the result in the Execute SQL Script on Multiple Servers dialog would be easier to achieve? I think that feature would prove more useful than dropping everything into the same file.
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: