SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[9.0.157 BETA] Show rowcount on query execution?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[9.0.157 BETA] Show rowcount on query execution?
Mindflux

Post [9.0.157 BETA] Show rowcount on query execution? Reply with quote
I'm not seeing anything in the SQL Assistant messages or results tab about how many rows were affected or selected aside from scrolling all the way to the bottom of the results pane to get a row count?

I could have sworn that was there in 7.x?
Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This is a known issue. It will be fixed soon.
Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
This is a known issue. It will be fixed soon.

Thank you
Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
There's something still weird here.

If I run two select statements in the same execution the results tab only shows me how many rows came back from the last executed statement (I think?)
Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
double post
Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
There's something still weird here.

If I run two select statements in the same execution the results tab only shows me how many rows came back from the last executed statement (I think?)

I take that back, the fetch is the sum of sets. Is there any way to show each operations sets separately?

The help shows the message window should be more verbose than it is for me:

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The issue here is missing diagnostic messages for number of rows affected by a SQL statement. In prior SQL Assistant versions they used to be output to the Messages window after code execution. An enhancement introduced in version 7.5 and later enhanced further in 9.0 enables asynchronous printing of diagnostic and progress of work messages returned by the server as the code execution progresses. It also enables executing multiple commands simultaneously from different editor tabs. The mentioned enhancements have solved the issue with waiting for code execution to complete before any messages can be seen, and resolved the issue with fixed output buffer size causing message truncation if many of them are returned. But it also introduced a side effect, not all types of diagnostic messages are printed to the Messages window as of now. We do have a ticket in the system related to that side effect and it's going to be addressed in or before 9.1 maintenance release.
Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I've got a word that this issue is specific to ADO.NET interface for SQL Server. In comparison it does print row counts for all statements executed within a SQL batch when using ODBC connections to SQL Server It's actually somewhat a regression resulting from some changes in version earlier 6.5 made few years ago and accepted at that time. The printing of diagnostic row counts for ADO.NET will be restored in the release planned for the end of this week.
Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:38 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This should have been fixed in 9.0.185
Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
I'm still seeing the same behavior with the messages being a 'summary' of the returned results. ADO.net connection type.

I am also now seeing that if the statement isn't terminated with a GO it thinks two different select statements come back as "Executed 1 statement; fetched X rows in 2 result sets"
Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:54 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
I am also now seeing that if the statement isn't terminated with a GO it thinks two different select statements come back as "Executed 1 statement; fetched X rows in 2 result sets"

If you execute something like
SELECT 1
SELECT 2

whether there is GO at the end or not, it's still technical a single T-SQL batch statement returning 2 result sets. That's why the status bar message refers to 1 statement and 2 results. SQL Assistant doesn't send to the database engine the first and second SELECTs separately. It sends the entire script, whatever goes between the GO statements or from the beginning of text if there are none.

I just tested the above little script with ODBC and ADO.NET and I see with ODBC it returns correct messages
Code:
Executing selected queries... Please wait or close this tab to cancel execution.
1  row fetched (0.65 ms).
1  row fetched (0.02 ms).
The command(s) completed successfully (0.68 ms).

When I run the same with ADO.NET unfortunately I get different messages
Code:
Executing selected queries... Please wait or close this tab to cancel execution.
The command(s) completed successfully (0.61 ms).

I reopened the ticked and informed the team that the fix is incomplete. Only ODBC interface is returning complete set of messages.
Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:

If you execute something like
SELECT 1
SELECT 2

whether there is GO at the end or not, it's still technical a single T-SQL batch statement returning 2 result sets. That's why the status bar message refers to 1 statement and 2 results. SQL Assistant doesn't send to the database engine the first and second SELECTs separately.

I'm ashamed to admit that I never knew (but always wondered just never took the time or effort to check) what the correct use of terminus technicus is and what's the difference between query and statement. When I see
Code:

SELECT 1
SELECT 2

it translates to me that there's a single query but there are two statements.
Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:15 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Re: [9.0.157 BETA] Show rowcount on query execution? Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
I'm not seeing anything in the SQL Assistant messages or results tab about how many rows were affected or selected aside from scrolling all the way to the bottom of the results pane to get a row count?

I could have sworn that was there in 7.x?

This issue is specific to ADO.NET interface and it's been fixed in the latest release 9.0.194.
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:58 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: