SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.176 Pro] - Long Syntax Check Pauses

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.176 Pro] - Long Syntax Check Pauses
Mindflux

Post [SA 9.0.176 Pro] - Long Syntax Check Pauses Reply with quote
There are times when I am working on a query in SQL Editor 64 bit and I may stop typing and the syntax checker will go off. Usually this is ok because it doesn't take a long time. But there are instances where the "Checking Syntax" message at the bottom stays there for a ridiculous amount of time. Sometimes, so long I'm questioned whether the editor has frozen up.

I'm working with a SPROC that's about 250 SLOC, temp tables, variables and some stuff that is probably not easy for the syntax checker to deal with.

I can't say I experienced this before 9.0, but I was a near 100% of the time SSMS user prior to SQL Assistant 9.0. Now I'm more like 90% SQL Assistant Editor, 10% SSMS.

I've tried checking the log for exceptions but I'm not seeing anything that stands out.

Also if I hand invoke syntax check I've not had an instance where it took longer than a second or two to run.

Is there anything I can check on? When it's frozen like this nothing else in SQL Editor responds.
Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
I definitely get a longer syntax pause if I run my procedure/query (F5) then hit shift+f5 (Syntax check) right after, or right after a run I hit enter a few times in the editor and wait for the check to go off on it's own. But nothing like the long pauses that cause me to question whether it'll come back to life or not.

Also as of right now SQL Editor shows no syntax errors, where the SAME code in SSMS tells me: "Invalid object name #tempTable".
Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for pinpointing this issue. Our investigation found out the root cause in the internal implementation. The SSMS add-on runs syntax checking by spawns a different kind of processing thread which appears to interact with the UI more efficiently, and doesn't call/wait for some functions called by the syntax checking thread in SQL Editor. I have opened a new ticket to have the syntax checking optimized in SA SQL Editor and move "offending" functions to a different thread in order not to delay the processing.
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Thank you for pinpointing this issue. Our investigation found out the root cause in the internal implementation. The SSMS add-on runs syntax checking by spawns a different kind of processing thread which appears to interact with the UI more efficiently, and doesn't call/wait for some functions called by the syntax checking thread in SQL Editor. I have opened a new ticket to have the syntax checking optimized in SA SQL Editor and move "offending" functions to a different thread in order not to delay the processing.

This is fixed in the latest build 9.0.194
Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:11 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: