SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
pgAdmin3 LTS - How to add this target

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
pgAdmin3 LTS - How to add this target
michalk

Post pgAdmin3 LTS - How to add this target Reply with quote
Hello
Usually I use pgAdmin3. Since this product is discontinued some forks has appeared to continue this product line.
One of them is pgAdmin3 LTS (https://www.openscg.com/bigsql/pgadmin3/)

Unfortunately SA doesn't work with this. I tried to add target (using CTRL+SHIFT+F5) since app itself should be very similar to original pgAdmin3 but I got a message "Unsupported window class (wxWindowClassNR)".

What is more strange, if I try CTRL+SHIFT+F5 on original pgAdmin3 (v 1.22.2) which SA is working with perfectly, I'm getting the same error message.

How can I make EA work with pgAdmin3 LTS? Is it possible?

Edit: It seems to be 64bit application (there is no asterisk next to name in process manager)

with regards
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunately it won't work with that version and likely with feature versions too. The developed of pgAdmin tool have changed completely the internal implementation. They now use 3rd party's QT cross platform UI library that renders UI like images unlike native Windows applications that use Windows API to create windows and controls.
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Thanx for quick response but we are talking about different programs.
You probably meant pgAdmin4, currently officially offered as pgAdmin3 successor.
I'm talking about pgAdmin3 fork (so based on the same basecode) being developed by another developer.

Right now I suppose the problem lays in different architecture: SA is 32bit while pgAdmin3 1.23.0b is 64bit app
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
SA is actually dual 64-bit and 32-bit, so that shouldn't be an issue. I will need to check with developers on the possible cause. It might be a confirmation issue.
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sorry to say that but I've got sad news. Unfortunately it won't work with pgAdmin LTS. It appears there are some critical technical compatibility issues blocking integration with pgAdmin 64-bit versions, and that is actually disabled in the SQL Assistant's target application handling routine on purpose.

If pgAdmin 3 was there to stay, we would consider developing a native plugin for it, but it's getting phased out by pgAdmin 4, which is a very different thing, and which unfortunately we cannot work with. It's a just a matter of time before pgAdmin 3 gets out of scope completely.
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Yes, it's not good news but I didn't expect some demanding development. I thought it's a matter of a small change (maybe even on my end).
It's completely reasonable that you cannot support application which is not officially developed any more.
However I can bet pgAdmin3 will remain in use for years. The reason behind it is pgAdmin4 is rather unfinished, full of issues (regardless being out for more than 2 years) and with its new architecture, is not as user friendly and efficient as its predecessor.

We (me as well great part of postgresql community) are going to stick with pgAdmin3 as long as it will work with newer versions of postgresql. pgAdmin3 LTS supports recent ones but I suspect there might be more forks. In the meantime I'm trying to pal up with SA Editor. It looks solid but some things work different way being a stopper.

Anyway, thank you for taking a look at the case. I appreciate your effort.
with regards
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm happy to submit a request to implement direct integration with pgAdmin3 TLS. But unfortunately I cannot promise any quick solutions.

I also hope that we can develop SASE to a point at which you can switch to it because it does the job for you, and you would no longer need to use pgAdmin for your everyday tasks. I feel very optimistic about that happening in a foreseeable future. :-)
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
deepheep

Post Reply with quote
Seria bueno que le den soporte a pgadmin LTS, para que no nos abandonen a los que utilizamos postgres, para de esa manera seguir utilizando el SQL Assistant.
Gracias,
Saludos
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

The LTS version is very different from the original pgAdmin 3. To begin with it's a 64-bit application, the original is 32-bit. But that's just the top of the iceberg. We actually looked into hooking SQL Assistant with LTS version but had to give up because the complexity is very high while a potential user base is fairly low. Most users have already switched to pgAdmin 4. We don't support pgAdmin 4 too, it's not really a Windows application, it's based on cross platform QT library making the Windows messaging based integration impossible. It also doesn't seem to provide any sort of API or plugin interface.

I recommend SQL Assistant SQL Editor Professional Edition, it can do nearly everything pgAdmin can do and much more.
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for the effort.
I know this is almost different application, so it would be like adding support for new app.
I understand your decision even if I'm not sure about what you wrote users migrating to pgAdmin4. In absolute numbers it might be true indeed. But developers (aka people who use SQL Assistant) mostly are trying to stay with pgAdmin3 since usability of pgAdmin4 is still questionable.

Personally I'm trying to work with SA Editor more and more, but are tiny issues a lot of tiny issues which mostly comes from the fact, this is mutli-database application, and some things cannot be postgresql specific. Also some parts of workflow differs causing transition even harder. But yeah, at some point, some app dies being replaced by new one. Maybe it's time to face the truth

with regards
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

The latest I heard there are serious technical difficulties with supporting the LTS version. We need that version to support some kind of plugin and add-on interface or some kind of API that 3rd party developers can use to add extensions. We're happy to add SQL Assistant functions to the application, but unable to do it at this time.

In response to "a lot of tiny issues" - please let us know about the issues you encounter. Perhaps we can address some or all of them in the next maintenance release.
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:57 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: