SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SAEditor - Result tabs, Explorer

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SAEditor - Result tabs, Explorer
michalk

Post SAEditor - Result tabs, Explorer Reply with quote
Hello all

I have problem to get used to workflow offered by SA Editor. Maybe there are some options to configure it, but I found nothing which look it might help me.
1. Every execute of an sql results in 2 tabs being opened. One with status, second one with dataset. If I run the query gain, next two tabs opens. After a while I have dozens tabs opened. I can imagine there are users who find it comfortably but for me it doesn't work. Is there possibility to get results in the same tab always? Is there option to get query status displayed in some permanent place, not in another result tab (usually covered by result tab anyway)

2. Explorer. New window of explorer is spawned with every new connection. Even if attempt to edit function code or trigger DML, opens new connection spawning new Explorer.
It kinda acceptable when Explorer is docked. But you can change docking position for every connection, or even better (worse) undock every explorer separately. Then having 5 opened connections, there are 5 Explorers floating around. It's quite messy to me. Wouldn't one Explorer window be efficient enough? I believe nobody needs more than one Explorer available at time.

regards
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

1. You can use Targets -> Registered Targets -> SQL Assistant Code Editor -> Options -> Auto-close Results before Execute option to not keep previously opened tabs when executing the code.

You can still save them if you right-click a tab and rename it. For example, if you decide you want to keep the Messages tab with previous code execution diagnostic messages, notices, row counts, etc.. open rename it to Messages Something, and it will stay open until you close it manually, or close the parent editor tab.

2. Each editor is fully independent, and it has it's own connection, which you can change at any time and reconnect to a different database server. The context of DB Explore will change with the connection. But if you don't want to see it there, you can use Advanced Window Placement options and set Docking Context Tools to Main Window option value to yes
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for quick answer.

ad1. Auto-close Results does the job. The query status is still being covered by results... but in overall it's minor issue. For sure closing previous results is big step forward for me. I can also dock the result to main window but... (see ad2)

ad2. I did what you sugested but it doesn't seem it looks like I would expect. I can dock the Explorer to main window, but... with each new connection (new query tab), new Explorer is added to docked exporter window. What is even worse, when I jumping between tabs (different connections), no related Browser is being activated. The same for Status window mentioned in #1.
Maybe I'm missing something, but this concept seems to me not so useful for me.

thank you
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
for ad2
The previous suggestion didn't imply that there will be a single DB Explorer pane somehow shared between all editors and connection types. This particular feature is not specific to DB Explorer, it's a way to control where panes appear within the IDE, sides bottom, in editor window, in main frame window...

I'm pretty sure there is no way in SQL Editor to have a single DB Explorer as in pgAdmin. This is by design.. SQL Editor support multi-window and multi-database interface allowing concurrent connections to different databases and even database types, with parallel code execution, and use of various tools running in the background, they need separate connections and independent DB Explorers.
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:29 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for clarification.
If someone need to work with multiple servers at the same time (multiple windows opened one next to another) then it might make sense. But if some work with one server at time, then switch to another, then switch to yet another, then number of opened DB Explorers might be seen as not helping at all. Especially in case of floating DB Explorers.

You can ask what is wrong with multiple browsers.

At first, if those windows are floating, a screen is covered by multiple inactive DB browsers. Even the browser related to currently edited script might remain inactive (if deativated before). Simply visibility and active state of DB browser doesn't follow query editor windows.
At second, there is a scenario, when even working with multiple connections I remember the last location selected in Browser. Maybe it doesn't matter when working with different servers, but since each query window meas new connection (which mean separate DB browser), it leads to having different locations in Browser tree selected for each edited script. Personally I'm finding it very tiring. I remember the last selection in DB browser I've done, but everytime I look at browser, it shows something different (because I switched to another script). I hope you understand why it's not comfy for my usecase

Maybe it's worth to consider it as a feature request to meet needs related to different work flow.
Speaking about that, I would really like to be able to open multiple query editors, sharing one connection. Maybe such feature would be good compromise, letting you stick with current app design.

with regards
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: