SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 7.2.338 Pro] Postgresql - boolean

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 7.2.338 Pro] Postgresql - boolean
michalk

Post [SA 7.2.338 Pro] Postgresql - boolean Reply with quote
Boolean values are represented by integers values (0 and 1) in data preview grid. I would expect true/false or t/f etc

Speaking about data grids, I suggest to add datatype name to column headers

with regards
Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Boolean values are internally represented as you say t/f or as a number of other databases as 1/0 and bit data types. SQL Assistant currently uses 1/0 as a presentation method for such values across all database types.

Regarding data types. Please mouse over column headers. You will see their data types and nullability attributes in the mouse-over hints.
Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
I would like to see an option to change representation of boolean then.

with regards
Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That seems to be a PG only proprietary option. In all database server types the internal value for Boolean data values is either a BIT or TINYINT data type represented by 1/0 values. PG does internally the same thing, but in the SQL code it allows aliasing it to a bunch of values: TRUE, 't', 'true', 'y', 'yes', 'on' '1' - all of which are the same as 1, meaning a "true" state, while any of the following values are the same as 0, meaning a "false" state: FALSE, 'f', 'false', 'n', 'no', 'off', '0'

I can submit an enhancement request to allow alternative display of BIT / BOOL / BOOLEAN values.
Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:03 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, I would be grateful for that.

Point is, that looking at result grid, true/false value makes automatically obvious that the column cannot have other values.
If you look at column with 0 and 1 values, you can assume that there can be another numbers. So, showing boolean with true/false values is a way to improve user experience.

thank you.
Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: