SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Editor Enhancement Suggestions

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Editor Enhancement Suggestions
judahr

Post SQL Editor Enhancement Suggestions Reply with quote
These are from SSMS tools:

1. I like how SSMS Tools colors the top of the editor based on the server/instance name. After all that is where your eye will be when you start typing.
2. Search the Results - Allow user to right click in results to search within that.
3. Script the results - Allow user to right click to script out the results as a set of Select UNION ALL's.
4. SQL History - Everytime a SQL statement is executed, it is saved as a text file. Then allow users to search that history within a date range.

For me personally, these features are holding me back from using the Editor.
Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I believe all of that is supported by SQL Assistant in some way, for example, connection coloring, save results as script (via save as), etc...
Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
These are all referring the SQL Editor.

1. The color is currently in the status bar. I think the top of the editor portion of the window is better.
2. There is no search within the results. CTRL-F will only search the editor, not the results.
3. Save as script is disabled, assuming that is what that is supposed to do.
4. SQL History - The history I see is only for the current window. I'm referring to a centralized one that can be searched for text within a date range.
Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
1. I like how SSMS Tools colors the top of the editor based on the server/instance name. After all that is where your eye will be when you start typing.
and also. The color is currently in the status bar. I think the top of the editor portion of the window is better.

SSMS supports coloring the status bar based on server/instance name, please see it's options, I don't think there is a need to duplicate it's native feature.
As for the SQL Assistant Editor, I'm not sure how difficult that is to implement and whether other users will like it too, but I can submit and enhancement request for that.

Quote:
2. There is no search within the results. CTRL-F will only search the editor, not the results.

I have to correct myself, this feature is not yet available in publicly released versions, I have it in a version running on my test system, but that is a private unreleased build yet.

Quote:
3. Save as script is disabled, assuming that is what that is supposed to do.

"Save as Script" menu disabled if you use a query to retrieve some data, SQL Assistant doesn't know the target table ("please don't assume that "SELECT * FROM whatever" is good enough to know the table, this is just a query text, which is just the same as "EXEC my_proc" returning 5 different result sets). But if you use a data preview feature using hot-track feature or mouse hint or something similar operating with a specific table or view, then the "Save as Script" menu is enabled. To script data in multiple tables, entire schema(s) or database(s), you can use SQL Assistant's menu in the editor "SQL Assistant -> Script table/view data..."

Code:
SQL History - The history I see is only for the current window. I'm referring to a centralized one that can be searched for text within a date range.

Yes, it's currently isolated by window. But even if it was done for the entire IDE in one place, I'm sure someone like me would ask soon why is it isolated by IDE, and not for the entire computer? Not one place place for all of my editors, and all of my computers I use for working with the same server, etc... because I don't remember from where I executed this or that piece of code. If you need a bullet proof history of code execution, please consider using our DB Audit & Security solution, which can track from the back-end all code executed against the server, no matter from where you connected and how, whether you used SQL Assistant Code Editor on your laptop or SSMS running on the server, and so on. You can filter by dates, users or other parameters...

The Recent Documents feature in SQL Assistant tracks your editor states and code changes, you can search for code changes by date or content.

If I have missed anything, please correct me.
Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
I'll push back on a few of them.

1. Having the visual indicator at the top is a great way to warn you are on a production server. See below. Right where i am typing I see I'm in production with a big red caution. I'm curious if others agree.

2. Cool. Glad to see it is in progress.

3. Save as script is really handy when you write a query on one server and want to use the results on a different server. Often the query is complex so the existing implementation wouldn't work. It would have to take the data and literally build select statements without being concerned about where it comes from. It isn't something I use everyday, but it is a handy feature.

4. Personally, I use the feature on one of two clients, my desktop and virtual desktop. It saves every query to My Documents, which is part of a roaming profile. This allows me to use it anywhere. Saving every query to roaming or a cloud folder, would allow it on every device that you need it. I don't really need all queries, I only care about the ones I execute in a window.
Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: