SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 7 Pro] Smart search not consistent

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 7 Pro] Smart search not consistent
Mindflux

Post [SA 7 Pro] Smart search not consistent Reply with quote
It seems Smart Search gets a little discombobulated now and then. I can't figure out an exact pattern to do it.

Here's a video of it:

http://screencast.com/t/Qmyiuosy

At first I thought table aliases were causing the lightbulb to not show up, but it seems when it does work and I click the bulb to get the popup it knows that my alias 'p' is prep.

Then I thought, maybe it's tab vs enter for "completion" (since I have both enabled). Sometimes I can snap it out of it by typing the full column name rather than tab complete it.

http://screencast.com/t/nfLW8cULi6
Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you so much. This video is very helpful. I'm going to forward it to the development team.
Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Two factors affect your results.
1. The search is activated after a space character, which is a natural word separator. (ignored if typed aster keywords)
2. The speed of your typing. If you type as fast as in your videos, the search is not activated, because it thinks you know what you are doing, but if you type slow and pause between words, it thinks you may need some ideas for similar code.

Hope this helps
Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Spaces after typing the column name did not seem to give me the lightbulb indicator.

As far as typing, yeah I can type fast if I'm concentrating on my task.

In my second video you can see when I fully type p.BatchID the bulb pops up right away without another key press. If I rely on the auto completion the bulb indicator isn't very reliable (related to speed perhaps, but even slowing myself down doesn't yield better results with tab/enter completion)
Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
I'm testing this again this morning...

I'm still not entirely convinced it's a speed issue. Even if it were, why would S.A not show you the bulb indicator after using enter/tab to complete a column name? Just because you used the autocomplete function?
Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I think it's triggered by space and new lines. Also, it evaluates a number of search conditions and various combinations of words you typed above, that itself may take a little while, that's why I think speed of typing is a factor there too.
Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I think it's triggered by space and new lines. Also, it evaluates a number of search conditions and various combinations of words you typed above, that itself may take a little while, that's why I think speed of typing is a factor there too.

So, after tab completing if I hit enter or space it should give the bulb? (it does not, only if I fully type the column name).

I had initially wondered if the cache was taking too long to search (speed of typing vs SA cache speed), but I am on a SSD drive here.. so I have my doubts there.
Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:43 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Just in case, it doesn't search the server, it searches the local code repository using full text code indexes, which should be relatively fast, but it needs to evaluate a number of variants to find what might be a similar or related code, and in total that may take a few seconds. The actual performance depends somewhat on the code repository size, which is proportional to the number of servers, databases, objects added to the repository.
Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Just in case, it doesn't search the server, it searches the local code repository using full text code indexes, which should be relatively fast, but it needs to evaluate a number of variants to find what might be a similar or related code, and in total that may take a few seconds. The actual performance depends somewhat on the code repository size, which is proportional to the number of servers, databases, objects added to the repository.

According to the advanced search for this DB I have 544 objects in the repository.

I'm going to just have to take your word for it that there's logic in there that if you are going fast enough it doesn't give you hints... but I still feel like there's a bug in there with not hinting with autocompleted columns.
Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Let me run this by the team and check in not missing anything.
Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: