SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[7.0.132 beta] Database Explorer - Feature request

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[7.0.132 beta] Database Explorer - Feature request
gemisigo

Post [7.0.132 beta] Database Explorer - Feature request Reply with quote
Having a filter in Database Explorer is nice. Being able to use a global filter AND a different filter for different types of objects (tables, views, functions, procedures, triggers, etc.) to filter further would be awesome. Adding the matching methods used for name matching (Name Starts from Key String, Name Contains Key String (both), and Name Contains Characters from Key String) would be absolutely king of the hill.
Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:25 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. I have submitted the name matching enhancement request.

with the global filter there would be a problem if you have different tabs connected to different servers and especially if servers are of different types example, SQL server with database/schema/object hierarchy, and MySQL with schema/object hierarchy, a single filter will be technically difficult in such cases)
Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:50 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Thank you. I have submitted the name matching enhancement request.

with the global filter there would be a problem if you have different tabs connected to different servers and especially if servers are of different types example, SQL server with database/schema/object hierarchy, and MySQL with schema/object hierarchy, a single filter will be technically difficult in such cases)

Clarification. When I was saying global filter I was referring a global filter that is global only to its corresponding tab, not all the Database Explorers in every tab. And by local filter I meant an additional filter that further narrows the possibilities regarding specific object types.
Example:
Entering 'calibration' as global filter in the Database Explorer gives you every object (tables, views, procedures, functions, triggers, whatever) that contain the word calibration. Digging deeper, adding the word let's say 'yellow' to view filter only return views from the 'calibration' filtered list that contain 'yellow. The same would apply to databases as well. And entering a filter could also expand the branches of the tree where there's match found. That way one could quickly find what one looks for.
Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
thank you. I understand now what you meant by global and local filters.

As for auto-expanding that might be an issue. AFAIK, the explorer branches are loaded dynamically as you manually expand them, that is to save the memory and system resources and to minimize your time waiting; some databases have very large catalogs - thousands of tables and hundreds of thousands of columns,, adding attributes and that to millions of records that would need to be loaded and processed.

Please note that filters are applied only to the data already loaded into the db explorer. when you expand new leaves, they are loaded and filtered on a fly.
Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:05 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I see. Fair enough. Do you think you could add an "Expand All/Collapse All" to all the object branches in the hierarchy tree? That could be a healthy compromise.
Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:21 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I think we can do that.
although i would personally advocate displaying a warning first that expanding all items may blow your system and take a long time:-
Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
although i would personally advocate displaying a warning first that expanding all items may blow your system and take a long time:-

Good idea.
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:07 am View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
+1 this
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: