SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Tab Memory/History
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Tab Memory/History
Mindflux

Post Tab Memory/History Reply with quote
Would it be possible to implement some tab memory for SSMS (and others that use tabs?)

This way if I have several tabs open and SSMS crashes, or some other incident occurs when I start back up my tabs come back? As well as a way to recall recently closed tabs?

Red-Gate has a beta product called Tab Magic that I'm using now, but it'll eventually be rolled into their SQL Prompt formatting tool instead of a separate beta test install. I'd like to keep this feature without having to rely on RedGate for it.

There's also the SSMS Tools Pack which has some similar tab memory and is free as long as you don't use anything above SSMS 2008 R2. That said; again reliance on another tool rather than S.A is not my preference.

I'm loving "All things", SQL Assistant. Just trying to find additional features that would be bonus' on top of an already fantastic product.
Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I believe there is an alternative feature called Tasks and reminders.

Simply use /*TO DO:...*/ comments in your scripts. It will find them both in files and in the database code, and will list them providing 1-click access to the code. It works with all targets, not only SSMS.

More info can be found in Chapter 25 in the manual.
Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I believe there is an alternative feature called Tasks and reminders.

Simply use /*TO DO:...*/ comments in your scripts. It will find them both in files and in the database code, and will list them providing 1-click access to the code. It works with all targets, not only SSMS.

More info can be found in Chapter 25 in the manual.

Does this work for unsaved scripts? If I'm writing something and I close accidentally or crash out or whatever are my changes lost?
Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Ok so I'm testing this.

I pointed to my documents, added a /* to do: whatever here there */ to my script and saved it and re-scanned my todo/reminders.. it's not coming up in the list at all.

*edit: Well, it took a while but it finally started working. No idea why... I had manually re-scanned the script file location about 8 trillion times.

Last edited by Mindflux on Fri May 31, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri May 31, 2013 3:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Also Alt+Num0..9 on the extended keyboard does nothing for bookmarking Alt+Num0..9 in just open Execution History, which is set to Alt-F12.

resetting to defaults does not remedy this.
Fri May 31, 2013 4:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Ok something is sideways with the todo stuff... the re-scan doesn't seem to be real reliable or I'm misunderstanding it's function.

"real time" doesn't seem quite real time if set to zero:

http://screencast.com/t/PqDvOI8jL

Last edited by Mindflux on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri May 31, 2013 4:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Here's another oddity:

One script shows up after forcing an update, another in the same dir never shows up.

http://screencast.com/t/LaWR3MkJucu
Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
tasks: filter persistence bug? *Edit: it seems most boxes from SA with a filter box keep persistent filter keywords until you close it. Show execution history does as well...

http://screencast.com/t/fZFb0od7j9A7

Last line says I can erase text from filter box...
Fri May 31, 2013 5:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your feedback. I have reported all 3 issues to the team. I know in fact that some fixes have implemented in 6.4.xxx builds in the Tasks and Reminders function but I'm unable to try that function until Monday, this is when I get a new internal build.
Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Thank you very much for your feedback. I have reported all 3 issues to the team. I know in fact that some fixes have implemented in 6.4.xxx builds in the Tasks and Reminders function but I'm unable to try that function until Monday, this is when I get a new internal build.

It's ok. Thanks for being so responsive! It's definitely one of the draws I have to your company. Listening to customer feedback and applying enhancements or fixes it is VERY appreciated.
Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Another possible bug:

If tasks/reminders has a script it's found with the /* To do */ tag in it, and that script is deleted from the scan directory it stays persistent in the todo list... I can't get it out of there now, no amount of clicking 'update' gets rid of it.

Even removing the watched directory and trying to update doesn't get rid of it.

*Edit: Completely closing S.A out of sys tray and re-starting it and SSMS seem to have cleared it out.

*Edit: Adding a database and then removing it with todo objects logged stays persistent as well. I was just testing this feature on a DB, though I'd probably set the scan much higher than 30seconds to avoid added traffic. (the DB objects do not seem to clear out when restarting SA)
Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It should have been taken care in 6.4
Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
It should have been taken care in 6.4

Ok. I'll wait for that email on the new 6.4 build to test. :)
Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
Also Alt+Num0..9 on the extended keyboard does nothing for bookmarking Alt+Num0..9 in just open Execution History, which is set to Alt-F12.

resetting to defaults does not remedy this.

I'm not sure if 6.4.208 was supposed to remedy this, but I thought I'd let you know it's still a problem.
Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
tasks: filter persistence bug? *Edit: it seems most boxes from SA with a filter box keep persistent filter keywords until you close it. Show execution history does as well...

This one appears fixed. I can now backspace my filters off.
Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: