SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Problems with SSMS 2012

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Problems with SSMS 2012
PurpleDog

Post Problems with SSMS 2012 Reply with quote
I've been a happy SQL Assistant user for a few years, but for some reason it just stopped working today - could not connect the database, so no intellisense available.
After restarting everything a few times, I uninstalled and reinstalled SQL Assistant and now it doesn't appear at all in SSMS 2012.

SQL Assistant version 6.5.276
Licence key provided

Am I missing something, or is it broken?
Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please try starting SSMS in Run as Administrator mode and check if it works in that mode.

Also try to un-register and re-register SQL Assistant add-n for MS Management Studio in SQL Assistant options. Open Options dialog, locate MS Management Studio on the Targets tab, expand Advanced options on the right, set Register add-on to No and then Apply, then set it back to Yes and click Ok. Start SSMS and see if that did the trick.
Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:54 am View user's profile Send private message
PurpleDog

Post Reply with quote
Administrator mode made no difference, unegister/reregister brought the menu back, along with code formatting and some other things, but still no intellisense/code completion.
Show SQL Assistance, Show Object..., Show Table..., Check SQL Syntax, Show Execution Plan, Refresh Cache are all greyed out, Connect is available but does not connect...

This was all working perfectly up until today, and suddenly stopped.
Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Show SQL Assistance, Show Object..., Show Table..., Check SQL Syntax, Show Execution Plan, Refresh Cache are all greyed out, Connect is available but does not connect...

This indicates that SQL Assistant has no access to the connection context. the connection is hosted by SSMS and should be shared with SQL Assistant, but it is not. Let's try unregister/register again but slightly differently. Let's close SSMS and also close SQL Assistant in the system tray. Restart SQL Assistant in Run As Administrator mode. Repeat the unregister/register procedure. Restart SSMs and hopeful it will put everything back.

If the above doesn't help, you may need to reinstall SQL Assistant. I suspect that recent Windows updates or security changes affected your system registry settings and SQL Assistant add-on is not longer loading correctly into your SSMS environment.
Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
PurpleDog

Post Reply with quote
No change.

As I mentioned originally I had uninstalled and reinstalled SQL Assistant already... I'm tempted to try it again otherwise I'm stuck with Red Gate SQL Prompt, which is desperately inferior in many ways :-(
Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
PurpleDog

Post Reply with quote
A third re-install, followed by unregistering and reregistering, finally brought it back!
Thanks for your help... anything you can do in a future version to prevent this happening would be cool - it cost me half a day today - but I'm back running again so I'm happy.

Cheers!
Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm glad it's working for you again. The issue was likely caused by a Windows update or security changes in machine or domain settings that wiped out or somehow disabled certain registry values used by SSMS to find and load SQL Assistant add-on.
Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: