SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Experimental Tab Manager and Script History Add-on

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Experimental Tab Manager and Script History Add-on
brianshannon

Post Experimental Tab Manager and Script History Add-on Reply with quote
2 Questions:

1. When will tabs be restored when opening SSMS? If I have 5 tabs open and close SSMS without saving should these tabs auto open the next time I start SSMS? This currently does not happen?

2. I have files being auto saved in the %appdata% directory. When i try to do a compare the option in SA is grayed out. See attached pic.

Thanks for your help.
Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
1. When will tabs be restored when opening SSMS? If I have 5 tabs open and close SSMS without saving should these tabs auto open the next time I start SSMS? This currently does not happen?

If tabs have been saved to files (not unnamed scripts) and they have been opened for 15 or more minutes, they will be reopened next time you reopn SSMs. Please make sure there is only one instance of SSMS is running. Same tabs aren't reopened in secondary instances

Quote:
I have files being auto saved in the %appdata% directory. When i try to do a compare the option in SA is grayed out. See attached pic.

Sorry, the image has been auto-resized and is too small to see anything. Please choose "Not to resize" image option. Without the image, it's hard to see which SSMS version you are running. Have you made any changes in the script? Do you see any files in %APPDATA%\SQL Assistant\6.5\History folder?
Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Quote:

If tabs have been saved to files (not unnamed scripts) and they have been opened for 15 or more minutes, they will be reopened next time you reopn SSMs

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate. I work with multiple SSMS tabs a lot, often never saving the tabs for various reasons (adhoc queries on the fly, etc etc etc) and SQL Assistant has been saving them. They'll re-open next time I open SSMS (I'm asked if I want to re-open them).

Also out of curiosity:

How often do tabs auto-save once the first 15 minute timer goes? Is it "on change" (detects changes in file?) or every 15 minutes? Is this interval able to be changed anywhere yet?

A lot can be written and subsequently lost in 15 minutes, if you should have a crash, lockup, unexpected reboot etc.
Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
How often do tabs auto-save once the first 15 minute timer goes? Is it "on change" (detects changes in file?) or every 15 minutes? Is this interval able to be changed anywhere yet?

It's suppose to check at user configured time intervals, bey default every 15 minutes, and the editor code is different from previous check, save it as a new version.

It looks like for some reasons, different people get different results.
Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:

It's suppose to check at user configured time intervals, bey default every 15 minutes, and the editor code is different from previous check, save it as a new version.

It looks like for some reasons, different people get different results.

Where do you set these intervals? The default interval in 'tasks and reminders' is 30 seconds.. that's the only place I've seen any time settings.
Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You can change it in Targets, expand Advanced settings for MS Management Studio
Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
You can change it in Targets, expand Advanced settings for MS Management Studio

Thanks! :)
Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Can we possibly get an option for this: "Prompt to Open: yes/no"... if yes, it prompts, if no it just opens them.
Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm sure this is doable.
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: