SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Suspend access target?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Suspend access target?
Mindflux

Post Suspend access target? Reply with quote
So, I think this is new in 6.5.. but it seems like you can suspend targets individually now. However when I go to suspend the MS Access target everything is greyed out.

Is there any way to fix that? I spend a lot of time in MS Access and sometimes having the target enabled locks my DB from editing. If I use suspend all, it fixes it (generally) but then all my targets (SSMS,etc) are without formatting as well.
Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm not completely sure, but I think it was intended to suspect SQL Assistant an instance of editor within the same target. For example, if in SSMS you have 10 tabs and 1 of them fails to connect to a database or loses connection, SQL Assistant can be suspended in that tab alone while continue working in other tabs.

Can you please provide more details on issue with MS Access? I mean
Quote:
locks my DB from editing

It would be nice to fix that one.
Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I'm not completely sure, but I think it was intended to suspect SQL Assistant an instance of editor within the same target. For example, if in SSMS you have 10 tabs and 1 of them fails to connect to a database or loses connection, SQL Assistant can be suspended in that tab alone while continue working in other tabs.

Can you please provide more details on issue with MS Access? I mean
Quote:
locks my DB from editing

It would be nice to fix that one.

I'll check if it's a per tab basis or per-instance tomorrow.

As for the MS Access issue. If I have SQL Assistant set to target msaccess.exe, sometimes (not all the times?) it'll lock the MDB file. So if I'm in my MDB (front end) working on query design or form design, it'll tell me when I go to save that it is in use by another user (in this case, its locked by SQL Assistant). I generally have to unload SQL Assistant or if I'm lucky enough, just pause all targets and I can usually get it to save. However there are times when it's particularly persistent and I have to lose my changes and close out, go delete the LDB lock file from my working directory and re-open the MDB and edit it all with SQL Assistant either unloaded or paused.

We aren't using the shared MDW access file since we connect to a SQL Server 2008 back end, all our permissions are controlled by roles there.

To be honest, most of the time if I manage to remember I just pause SQL Assistant before launching my MDB for editing..... especially since the table lookup mechanism doesn't work on linked tables so writing queries isn't as smooth as it would be if I were to write them out in SSMS. It would be nice to have both problems solved (Can't we do a lookup on MSysTables? I know my linked tables are listed in there)?

If neither is solvable, I may just un-target Access all together, but it WAS one of the primary factors that got me really excited about SQL Assistant over all the other SSMS/VS tools (SQL Prompt, ApexSQL, Devart SQL Complete, etc)
Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: