SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Tab Memory/History
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Tab Memory/History
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
judahr wrote:
There is a tool called SSMS tools. I run it along with SQL Assistant. It saves open tabs, saves past executions, does window coloring. If you are < 2012, it is free. It's scripting seems more complete than SQL Assistant. However, it is slower. Has other nice features that I have used: Search result contents, search database for value. Not trying to divert away from you guys. I'm a big fan of SQL Assistant, but SSMS Tools does have some nice features that SQL Assistant doesn't have.

I've used it in the past. I don't think it's that great honestly. And as I migrate to SSMS 2012 it'll cost me money. Red Gate integrated their tab saving within SQL prompt. I'm just suggesting SQLAssitant come up with something too since they seem receptive to new ideas and features.
Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
judahr wrote:
There is a tool called SSMS tools. I run it along with SQL Assistant. It saves open tabs, saves past executions, does window coloring. If you are < 2012, it is free. It's scripting seems more complete than SQL Assistant. However, it is slower. Has other nice features that I have used: Search result contents, search database for value. Not trying to divert away from you guys. I'm a big fan of SQL Assistant, but SSMS Tools does have some nice features that SQL Assistant doesn't have.

I've used it in the past. I don't think it's that great honestly. And as I migrate to SSMS 2012 it'll cost me money. Red Gate integrated their tab saving within SQL prompt. I'm just suggesting SQLAssitant come up with something too since they seem receptive to new ideas and features.

I like it for the features mentioned. I just used it a few minutes ago with the search sql history. However, I agree. If SoftTree adds these features, I would drop SSMS tools.
Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We are looking into tabs too, but it's a much bigger task at hand because we support many different development environments while other referenced tools do SSMS and VS only.
Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I support these ideas. Tab history would be welcome in other environments too. Since SA is already able to export result grid contents into Excel I guess searching it could be done as well. What I miss in SA result grid (besides searching) is the capability to reorder the columns by dragging them (and optionally, reflecting the changes to the query itself).
Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:07 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I suggest trying the latest version 6.5 released today. This version includes experimental Tab Manager and Script Version History add-on for SSMS.
Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
I like where this is going!

I know it's experimental, but I'd like to have something in the GUI to bring up historical data rather than having to jump into %APPDATA%.

Also there's a typo in the manual:

"Saving File Change history" (page 378)

Quote:

By default every 15 minutes ina special History folder it saves a version of the script with new changes." .. should be in a (space).

Also the path is %APPDATA%\SQL Assistant\VersionNumber\History , the document omits the VersionNumber part.. eg 6.5. so should read %APPDATA%\SQL Assistant\6.5\History
Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. I have logged both issues.
Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd like to have something in the GUI to bring up historical data rather than having to jump into %APPDATA%

We are planning on developing a graphical Document Manager interface for browsing saved versions, reopening and managing them. We are also going to try to expand scripti versioning and management interface to all supported editors. SSMS is just the fist in our list and also one of the most commonly used.
Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to have something in the GUI to bring up historical data rather than having to jump into %APPDATA%

We are planning on developing a graphical Document Manager interface for browsing saved versions, reopening and managing them. We are also going to try to expand scripti versioning and management interface to all supported editors. SSMS is just the fist in our list and also one of the most commonly used.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:

Any news on this?
Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:16 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yes. A new release is coming soon. It will provide so called Document Manager interface for all versions of SSMS and VS editors. It's going to be accessible via Reopen Tabs dialog appearing on the SSMS/VS startup and via Recent Documents menu in SQL Assistant menu branch. If you have access to the latest development builds, you can see a preview of that interface.
Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Yes. A new release is coming soon. It will provide so called Document Manager interface for all versions of SSMS and VS editors. It's going to be accessible via Reopen Tabs dialog appearing on the SSMS/VS startup and via Recent Documents menu in SQL Assistant menu branch. If you have access to the latest development builds, you can see a preview of that interface.

How does one gain access to Dev builds?
Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:

How do I invoke the interface?
Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
How does one gain access to Dev builds?

We are providing them on demand for troubleshooting specific technical issues. If you would'like to get a look at the new interface, please email to support. The latest build number is 6.5.273
Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
How do I invoke the interface?

In SSMS, in SQL Assistant's menu click Recent Documents menu item. If you are using SSMS 2012 or 2014, you may need an extra step for now, open at least 1 SQL file, make some changes, wait 15 minutes, make more changes. If you then open Recent documents, it will show revisions for this file and their differences.
Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: