SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Tab Memory/History
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Tab Memory/History
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
Another possible bug:

If tasks/reminders has a script it's found with the /* To do */ tag in it, and that script is deleted from the scan directory it stays persistent in the todo list... I can't get it out of there now, no amount of clicking 'update' gets rid of it.

Even removing the watched directory and trying to update doesn't get rid of it.

*Edit: Completely closing S.A out of sys tray and re-starting it and SSMS seem to have cleared it out.

*Edit: Adding a database and then removing it with todo objects logged stays persistent as well. I was just testing this feature on a DB, though I'd probably set the scan much higher than 30seconds to avoid added traffic. (the DB objects do not seem to clear out when restarting SA)

These also look fixed.
Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Ok. So I know that tasks/reminders is an... interesting work around for saving open editor windows...

But I'd still like to formally request something more like SQL Tab Magic (which is currently EAP, but due to be rolled into SQL Prompt) from Red-Gate.

This tool, seriously is a life saver for me. I may spend a lot of time writing ad-hoc queries in SSMS.. it'll auto-save the last 20 or so open editor windows.. and re-open any that were open upon SSMS being closed/crashed.

It also lets me look at my query editor history and has the last maybe 10 or 20 editor windows available for me to select and re-open.

here's an eap link if you want to check it out: http://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLTabMagic/SQLTabMagic.zip
Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. I will submit this enhancement request into our tracking system
Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Thank you. I will submit this enhancement request into our tracking system

Thanks. I realize you guys may assess it as unnecessary so that's OK too. I just think having a mechanism to remember opened tabs and periodically save unsaved work somewhere for retrieval via an "open closed tabs" dialog of some sort is REALLY handy. I just don't like saving .sql scripts to disk unless I'm going to be loading them periodically and don't want to turn it into a SP or something.
Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:

Thanks. I realize you guys may assess it as unnecessary so that's OK too. I just think having a mechanism to remember opened tabs and periodically save unsaved work somewhere for retrieval via an "open closed tabs" dialog of some sort is REALLY handy. I just don't like saving .sql scripts to disk unless I'm going to be loading them periodically and don't want to turn it into a SP or something.

Let me second this :)
Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:

Let me second this :)

In the mean time you should check out tab magic before they yank the EAP.
Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:58 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Well RedGate SQL Tab Magic now got rolled into the EAP for SQL Prompt 6 and my EAP version of TM expired.

Any news on this front from you guys? :)
Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:23 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
I just don't like saving .sql scripts to disk unless I'm going to be loading them periodically and don't want to turn it into a SP or something.

Please help me understand the value of that feature. Can you describe a working scenario? Or an example of how you are using that? How is that different from Eclipse saving anything you type as a file and adding it to the project or Notepad++ by default remembering all previously opened files and reopening them on each start-up?
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
I just don't like saving .sql scripts to disk unless I'm going to be loading them periodically and don't want to turn it into a SP or something.

Please help me understand the value of that feature. Can you describe a working scenario? Or an example of how you are using that? How is that different from Eclipse saving anything you type as a file and adding it to the project or Notepad++ by default remembering all previously opened files and reopening them on each start-up?

Well that's kind of the point. Think of it like NP++ remembering what you had open or what you were working on (which NP++ doesn't do, AFAIK).

Though this works for 'working scripts' as well. Eg. I start writing a script or something and SQL Assistant autosaves it somewhere (temp dir?) so that if I accidentally close out, or crash.. or restart.. or whatever.. next time I open SSMS it pops it back open or asks me if I want to re-open it.

Also the feature of remembering working tabs/data that gets accidentally closed. With SQL Tab Magic (which is now an expired EAP so I can't use it anymore).. if I'm writing a script and close that tab accidentally (but not SSMS), I could click my tab magic button and pull up a history of scripts it had auto saved for me so I didn't lose any (or much work, depending on the auto save interval)..

I hope that makes sense?
Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
which NP++ doesn't do, AFAIK

That is actually an option. You can enable it if you want.

Quote:
I could click my tab magic button and pull up a history of scripts it had auto saved for me so I didn't lose any (or much work, depending on the auto save interval)..

So basically, this is just a primitive auto-save feature, am I right?
When you pull the history, does it actually tell you the original file name if a tab was associated with a file? or a procedure name if you were editing some procedure in your database?
Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
which NP++ doesn't do, AFAIK

That is actually an option. You can enable it if you want.

Quote:
I could click my tab magic button and pull up a history of scripts it had auto saved for me so I didn't lose any (or much work, depending on the auto save interval)..

So basically, this is just a primitive auto-save feature, am I right?
When you pull the history, does it actually tell you the original file name if a tab was associated with a file? or a procedure name if you were editing some procedure in your database?

I guess primitive auto save might be an ok way to put it. When you pull the history, at least in SQL Tab magic it showed a file list and a code window so you could see what the file contains. But the filenames just keeping the default tab names (sqlquery1.sql, sqlquery2.sql) and would keep a history of however many you defined. (I think the default was 20).

I can't find a setting in NP++ that retains unsaved files for previous sessions. It will open up files I had open last time I closed NP++ though, but those are saved files... not works in progress.
Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't find a setting in NP++ that retains unsaved files for previous sessions. It will open up files I had open last time I closed NP++ though, but those are saved files... not works in progress.

"unsaved"- I know of no such option, but there is "remember the current session for next launch" to reopen things on next start and "update silently" for externally modified files
Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:

"unsaved"- I know of no such option, but there is "remember the current session for next launch" to reopen things on next start and "update silently" for externally modified files

Yes, that's what I'm getting at... that's what SQL Tab magic did... it autosaved your tabs and re-opened them next time (if you left them open and closed SSMS totally).. or you could also recall accidentally closed tabs that might have had unsaved (or, now autosaved) work.
Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
Tab magic has been officially merged into SQL Prompt 6.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/

If you want a better understanding of how Tab Magic works and why I'd like something similar in SQL Assistant please check out the trial here. I don't have a better way to show you anymore.

Here's the one screenshot they provide.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 am View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
There is a tool called SSMS tools. I run it along with SQL Assistant. It saves open tabs, saves past executions, does window coloring. If you are < 2012, it is free. It's scripting seems more complete than SQL Assistant. However, it is slower. Has other nice features that I have used: Search result contents, search database for value. Not trying to divert away from you guys. I'm a big fan of SQL Assistant, but SSMS Tools does have some nice features that SQL Assistant doesn't have.
Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: