SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Problem Running Jobs as Detached

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Problem Running Jobs as Detached
jeff33190

Post Problem Running Jobs as Detached Reply with quote
We are running 24x7 scheduler version 3.4.33 on Windows 2008 R2 server. Last night I encountered a problem when trying to run any of our jobs that are set to run “detached”. I initiated one of the jobs from the scheduler and it went into the queue and just set there and did nothing. This is a quick job that runs in about 5 minutes normally. After waiting for it to begin running I finally deleted it from the queue, stopped and started 24x7 scheduler and tried it again and got same results. I even re-booted the server in case it was a memory issue and it still wouldn’t run. I finally tried running by debugging the JAL script and stepping through it and the job ran fine. I then unchecked the “detached” box and it ran fine. If I changed back to detached, the job would not run. This was the same behavior on several different jobs that have been running fine as detached for years. I unchecked the “detached” setting on all the jobs and let everything run through last night and they all worked fine. This morning I went back in and tested marking some as “detached” and this time they worked fine. I have no idea what was wrong or what fixed the problem. I was advised some time ago that running the jobs as detached was preferable and more stable, now I’m not sure what I should do.
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Does your version of the scheduler generate debug.log file in case "Enable Tracing" option is enabled in the scheduler options? If yes, please check that file for any obvious issues with running detached jobs. If your version doesn't support that diagnostics log, then the best option is to research Windows event logs for any related errors and messages, also check for any recent system changes or upgrades as well as antivirus updates.

Your version 3.4.33 is more than 5 years old and is no longer supported. It is incompatible with latest Windows versions and security patches... Please consider upgrading to a modern version, like the most recent 5.1.
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
jeff33190

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, we didn't have the "Enable Tracing" option checked and I haven't been able to re-create the issue. However, if it happens again, I will enable tracing and capture the results to the log.

We are considering upgrading to the new version, I have been hesitant because we have a lot of jobs with custom JAL scripts that I was dreading to convert to javascript. However, it appears now there is a utility to convert those. Is it a difficult procedure normally to upgrade from 3.4.33 to 5.1? We have around 100 jobs, most of which have custom JAL scripts.

Thanks,
Jeff
Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Just in case there is any confusion, it is not required to convert JAL scripts. Not sure where that came from. You can run JAL jobs virtually as is in the latest versions.

The migration is fully automatic. Get the new version installed n the same system and when you start it first time and get a prompt to migrate the existing one be sure to choose Yes. This prompt appears only once. If you skip it, you will need to reinstall.

Hope this helps.
Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
jeff33190

Post Reply with quote
That sounds like good news. I looked at the Multi-Platform edition a couple of years ago when we first moved to 64-bit windows and had some issues. I thought at the time I was going to have to change to javascript, maybe I was mistaken. Glad to hear that is not required. We will give the new version a test.
Thanks,
Jeff
Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: