SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Lost Settings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Lost Settings
seth.rothman

Post Lost Settings Reply with quote
I just upgraded to 4.1.7 (from 4.0.34) and I lost all my saved settings, snippets, etc. Is there anything I can do to get them back?
Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'd like to assure you that you haven't lost old settings. The new settings are stored in a different folder which is
C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\SQL Assistant\4.1

Your old settings are in
C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\SQL Assistant\4.0

To migrate old settings to the new version, close SQL Assistant (all instances, all editors), copy SQLAssist.sas file from the old folder to the new folder as SqlAssist.sas.old then restart SQL Assistant. This will make it load old settings into the new version.
Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
seth.rothman

Post Reply with quote
OK, that saved the day, thank you. I did find one other issue though. I'm guessing the "Copy SQL Code As" default values are stored in the .sas file. When I copied the v4.0 file over to the v4.1, the values in there seemed to have gone away.
Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You misread my instructions. I asked to copy that file with .OLD extension, not to overwrite new file. Configuration file structure and data are subject to change between versions. Please never override .SAS file from an older version. You now have outdated configuration file which is not guaranteed to work.

Here is what I suggest to do now to restore and merge the settings:
1. Use Restore Default button in SQL Assistant options to revert to default configuration.
2. Shutdown SQL Assistant and all editors.
3. Copy your previous .SAS file with .OLD extension (repeat what you didn't before, just don't override the default .SAS file.
4. Restart SQL Assistant
Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
seth.rothman

Post Reply with quote
I still do have the old file and yes I clearly misread your instructions. My bad. Fixing now. Apologies for my inability to follow directions...
Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Risk

Post Reply with quote
Sorry, but I did as you said, BUT it seems I lost my snipplets.
Don't you think that there should be an AUTOMATIC feature that, when you upgrade the software, preserve ALL user settings?

Thanks

Andrea
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:31 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yes, there is. If the setup is run with default settings it should automatically load whatever is possible into the new version.

In theory, not everything is always possible to automatically migrate forward without sacrificing new changes in the functionality and ability to make significant improvements in configuration settings and structure.

You can also copy your old file and overwrite the new one, the new version will use it and convert automatically, but then you would lose a couple of the new things.
Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:09 am View user's profile Send private message
seth.rothman

Post Reply with quote
Is it possible that the reason the settings didn't get updated automatically because of the new "Check for Updates" mechanism? That's how I performed my update.
Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:12 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm will need to check this possibility, especially if the setup is not run in this mode with admin privileges.
Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 am View user's profile Send private message
seth.rothman

Post Reply with quote
FYI, I just updated to 4.6 using the "Check For Updates" option and the settings were not carried over. I had to manually use the method above to pull them in.
Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Would you please email your SQLAssist.sas file from previous version to the support so we can check why the old settings are not picked up automatically.
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
May I suggest you to automatically apply existing setting if any so that no developers face this challenge when they upgrade their version? It is really a time consuming task to set each option manually again and again when new ver is released. I would be happy to have a checked checkbox control on sql assistance installation setup steps. It may be something like (Do you want to restore your previous settings?).

With Regards
Hitesh
Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:04 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Old settings are supposed to be automatically carried over and merged with new configuration file format. Yet some users have reported that it doesn't work for them. We are looking into this issue and hope to have a fix for it soon.
Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
Old settings are supposed to be automatically carried over and merged with new configuration file format. I have 1st unistall my exisitng ver 4.6 and then installed new ver 4.8 but my old setting are not coming back even after I carried out steps corrtly as given in this forum. This is one area you need to work it out for sure.
Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:13 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Have you had 4.7 installed at any time? If yes, the installation program for 4.8 copied your 4.7 settings, not 4.6 and that's why you don't see them in the new version.

Here is what you can do to copy them. In SQL Assistant Options dialog, click Import/Export button, uncheck Load Default Options checkbox, brows to your %APPDATA%\SQL Assistant\4.6 folder. If you are not sure where this folder is, from DOS prompt run SET command, see value of APPDATA environment variable. Select your previously used 4.6 .SAS file, choose settings you want to copy. Click Import.
Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:52 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: