SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Assistant 6.0.86 Hangs / Crashes SSMS and / or VS2010

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Assistant 6.0.86 Hangs / Crashes SSMS and / or VS2010
amasanchez

Post SQL Assistant 6.0.86 Hangs / Crashes SSMS and / or VS2010 Reply with quote
Hi. My other colleagues and I are having an issue with SQL Assistant either hanging the Apps frequently, and sometimes completely crashing the apps as well. Some of us prefer Visual Studio and others SSMS, but the point is that the apps tend to crash frequently casueing all data loss of unsaved information. At this point, we have SQL Assistant installed but its usually on Suspend All because it has become unuseable. Is there a debug mode or something so that I can check to see what is causing the issue? Is this common? Are others having this issue? What can we do so that we can begin using SQL Assistant again?

SSMS Version: SQL 2008
VS Version: Visual Studio 2010
SQL Assistant Version: 6.086
Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi. Please check SQL Assistant's log file in %APPDATA%\... folder (see docs for the exact location for your system type). Please let us know what you find there.

Also, if you get an exception occurred popup error message, make sure you submit it to the support. We cannot investigate errors, we don't know about. You can also use standard Select All and copy keyboard shortcuts to select the error text and copy to the Clipboard.

I'm looking forward to seeing the error messages. I hope this is a simple issue caused by some misconfiguration.
Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
amasanchez

Post Hang without any error in the log Reply with quote
So I found the log and there wer esome random errors from using SQL Assistant but nothing seemed to be of importance here. So i cleared the log and tried to make it freeze again. Turns out that it isn't very hard to freeze it. Giving a few clicks of the keyboard (in this case just the up arrow to get to the top of the script), and it hangs. SSMS hangs. SQL Assistant doesn't appear to be doing anything, but if i disable the addin, this never freezes. When I go back to the log, there is no data in the log. Is it possible for the error to bypass this log? I don't know how else I can show you what is happening. Are thre any particular firewall / AV issues with it since it uses the keyboard hook? I've tried running it as administrator or just regular user and the issue is still present.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Try turning off real-time performance checking feature. If that does help, try turning off real time syntax checking. And if that doesn't help, check if you got real time spell check turned on, and if yes, turn it off. If any of that helps, I can suggest the next step
Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Forgot to ask if you got running SQL Assistant as a native add-on for SSMS and/or VS or as a systray app. Please make sure it is running as an add-on.
Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
amasanchez

Post Maybe that worked Reply with quote
I haven't had to do a lot of SQL work since I first created the post, but I disabled all of those "realtime" settings and I haven't had any app hangs when I used it. Maybe that is the problem that we are all having. This is a little strange because we didn't have the problem before. Is there any setting that I can change that will still allow us to use those features, butmaybe less "realtime" so that the performance isn't an issue?
Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please check if SQL Assistant is setup and running as an add-on. If yes, enable these options one by one, restart target after each change, and try to reproduce the crash. Once you pinpoint which specific feature is causing the issue, we can talk how to correct that. However, if you are not running SQL Assistant as an add-on, no need to bother with everything else until that one is fixed. Thanks
Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: