SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Server 2008 and DBaudit 4.2.29 - Performance Issues

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Server 2008 and DBaudit 4.2.29 - Performance Issues
wlfhybrd

Post SQL Server 2008 and DBaudit 4.2.29 - Performance Issues Reply with quote
Upon installing DBAudit 4.2.29 on our SQL Server 2008 and configuring the System and Data Audit settings. The database application becomes extremely poor performing. Even when I was proceeding with the data audit tables on the databases it was extremely slow in adding the data audits. I have also received the error: SQLSTATE=42000 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server "Cannot use text, ntext, or image columns in the 'inserted' and 'deleted' tables. I have looked for the tables with text or image in the data values but do not see them. Any help is appreciative.

I have also noticed that the Windows Event Log has DBAudit warnings Event 1001: Source DBAudit every five seconds.

After stopping the System Auditing the application runs normally.
Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Upon installing DBAudit 4.2.29 on our SQL Server 2008 and configuring the System and Data Audit settings. The database application becomes extremely poor performing. Even when I was proceeding with the data audit tables on the databases it was extremely slow in adding the data audits.

Please make sure to use proper audit filters and limit the auditing scope to a reasonable amount of audit data. You should set filters to audit only stuff required for by your compliance and audit policies. Exclude any automated batch processes from the auditing, especially these generating lots of queries and updating lots of data. To find out whether system auditing or data-changing auditing is causing the performance issue, disable them 1 at a time and check if it fixes it. Once you know which one is the culprit, investigate the data in audit trail and figure out what is a noise and not needed. Set filters to exclude capturing of that noise.

Quote:
I have also received the error: SQLSTATE=42000 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server "Cannot use text, ntext, or image columns in the 'inserted' and 'deleted' tables. I have looked for the tables with text or image in the data values but do not see them.

When you get this error, take a look at the status bar of DB Audit Management Console. In the status bar you should see name of the table being processed. That table features text, ntext, or image column. Please unselect that column using the columns dialog.
Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:54 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: