SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How to make Sql Assistant work in UltraEdit

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
How to make Sql Assistant work in UltraEdit
SqlExplorer

Post How to make Sql Assistant work in UltraEdit Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the professional edition of SQL Assistant, but can't make the trial work in UltraEdit. It seems to work ok in Notepad - the SQL Assistant menu shows up in the context menu. But even in Notepad, I don't understand how you define a default connection.

1) The SQL Assistant menu doesn't show up in Ultra Edit, like it does with a right-click in Notepad.

2) Also, the documention (SQLAssist.pdf) indicates that under SQL Assistant/Options/Targets/Ultra Edit/Advanced, there should be a Register SQL Assistant add-on option, that you should change from False to True.

There is no such option.

3) Also, how do you input the connection information for a specific editor? It says that only 1 database connection is possible for text editors like Ultra Edit, and that's fine. But I don't see where that information is input. In the Advanced Options above, there's Auto Connection and Default Connection Type, but nowhere to input connection information specifically about one's database.

Has anyone been able to set up Ultra Edit 10.x to work with SQL Assistant?

Regards,

SA
Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Which UlltraEdit version is that?
Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
It's 11.x.

Anyway thanks, but after a morning reboot, it's working fine. I like it enough, to order it.

Does anyone know if it can be installed on a flash drive? I'm ordering it anyway, but just wanted to find out, before installing it on the laptop.
Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Good news, its working for you. I don't think it would run properly if installed on a flash drive. I know in fact that for certain things related to database interfaces it needs read/write access to the registry. It also reads/writes files in the Application Data folder which Windows keeps in user's settings folders on the system drive. So if you plug the flash drive into a system where it hasn't been installed, it may fail to find the required settings.
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
Fair enough, I'll just have to switch back & forth between the laptop, the generated code, and the office. Unfortunately, my company doesn't allow us to install third-party software, even if we are willing to pay for it ourselves.

Thanks for the assistance,

SE
Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'd like to share a tip that might help you. There is an Import/Export button in SQL Assistant Options dialog that allows you to export config data, code snippets and all other related stuff to a file, which you can place on flash drive, and then later import to another system. This way you can share settings between your laptop and desktop systems. There is also a command line interface for that feature that you can use to automate loading of shared settings, for example use batch file to load settings. For more info please read Chapter 24 in SQL Assistant User's Guide,
Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
There is a way to create a portable version of it. This thread made me curious, I gave it a try and it turned out working. Though... Well, I'm not quite sure... Is it legal to use a single license on multiple machines?

I checked the license & fees page and while 24x7 Event Server v2.1 has a single installation license and multiple computer installations (thus defined very precisely), SQL Assistant has 1 developer license and multiple license packs. Does that mean that I can install it on my both machines (one at my workplace and the other one at home) as long as I'm the only one using it? Or I'm only allowed to install it on a single device, regardless of it being a computer or a pen-drive? Because putting it on a pen-drive would make it possible to use it on an arbitrary number of different computers (provided it is used by the license owner, of course).
Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It is a per-user license. Here is a brief quote from Wikipedia

Quote:
A software license based on the number of users who have access to the software. For example, a 100-user license based on users means that up to 100 specifically named users have access to the program.

That means that you can install it on both machines – your desktop and your laptop, as long as you're the only one using it.

Contrary to that, if you install it on a server and there are 5 people accessing the server (concurrently or non-concurrently, that makes no difference), you would need a 5-user license.
Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:54 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That's good news. I'll install it at home too. End of sufferings.

Regarding the portable version, I withdraw my statement. It worked because SA was installed on the computer I tried. The situation is a bit more complicated than it seemed at first glance and the integration into different editors using add-ons just makes it worse. While SA can be fooled that look for its registry settings in a file but eg. SSMS is not affected by it and still tries to find things in the registry which aren't there.

I'll keep investigating what other options we have and update in case I find anything useful.
Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:29 am View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I'd like to share a tip that might help you. There is an Import/Export button in SQL Assistant Options dialog that allows you to export config data, code snippets and all other related stuff to a file, which you can place on flash drive, and then later import to another system. This way you can share settings between your laptop and desktop systems. There is also a command line interface for that feature that you can use to automate loading of shared settings, for example use batch file to load settings. For more info please read Chapter 24 in SQL Assistant User's Guide,

Thanks, Sysop. I'll make use of that, after getting a bit more familiar. Having fun so far.
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
SqlExplorer

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
That's good news. I'll install it at home too. End of sufferings.

Regarding the portable version, I withdraw my statement. It worked because SA was installed on the computer I tried. The situation is a bit more complicated than it seemed at first glance and the integration into different editors using add-ons just makes it worse. While SA can be fooled that look for its registry settings in a file but eg. SSMS is not affected by it and still tries to find things in the registry which aren't there.

I'll keep investigating what other options we have and update in case I find anything useful.

If they do decide to make a Portable version, I'm willing to pay a little extra.
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: