SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Restart on fail never resets count

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Restart on fail never resets count
barefootguru

Post Restart on fail never resets count Reply with quote
Hi, I have a job which runs every hour. The job has 'Restart this job if it fails', restart in 600 seconds, and 6 retries. It also has 'Disable this job on error'.

The job restarts fine, and almost always completes successfully the 2nd or 3rd time. The problem I have is that the failure counter never resets--so if the job has one failure followed by one success every hour, it will be disabled after the 6th hour.

Doesn't seem like the correct behaviour?

Cheers
Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
barefootguru

Post Re: Restart on fail never resets count Reply with quote
barefootguru wrote:
Hi, I have a job which runs every hour. The job has 'Restart this job if it fails', restart in 600 seconds, and 6 retries. It also has 'Disable this job on error'.

Am testing with 5 retries so it's < the hourly schedule. Will report back.
Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In both cases, that is an unknown state with unpredictable results depending on the job queue usage. According to the documentation, job retries should not overlap with regular job runs. So for example if you have an hourly job and 10 minutes retries, you should not set more than 4 retries so that you don't reach the next scheduled run time. But here is an additional catch. If a job sits in a queue long enough before first start or any restart, one of the retries can still overlap with the next scheduled run. To be on the save side, I suggest to leave at least 15 to 30 minutes gap between the last retry and the next scheduled run.
Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 am View user's profile Send private message
barefootguru

Post Reply with quote
Thanks. I do think there's a bug there. On this job log you can see a successful run at 06:10 and 07:10. At 08:12 and 09:12 the first run failed, the second was successful, but the retry counter from previous runs was never reset:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I see now. There is something wrong with the restarting. The restart counter doesn't restart, which seems to be unusual. I'll try to reproduce that issue and create and report a test case for further analysis.
Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: