SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Remote control and remote agent jobs

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Remote control and remote agent jobs
LeeD

Post Remote control and remote agent jobs Reply with quote
Hi
When I connect to my 3.6.2 windows ed scheduler with the remote control console and try to run now a normal job on the remote machine it works fine. When I try to do the same with a remote agent job, then it seems to run in the scheduler or local context (I can't really tell which) not the remote agent context.

ie I have a job that runs a batch file via JAL script located on the remote agent hard drive which runs ok from schedule but when run via remote control manually it says 'create process failed' because it cannot find the batch file.

I can run the job manually from the web console and it works.

Should this work through remote control?
Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If I get it correctly, when you start the job manually using the Remote Control, you get a prompt for where to run the job locally or remotely. You choose remotely, and it runs ok. Note that the Remote Control explicitly executes the job in the scheduler server context. The same behavior is observed when running the job from the web console. Remote context is the only option in this case. And it runs ok too. In both cases an existing scheduled job is triggered on the scheduler server using whatever settings saved in the job definition on the scheduler.

I also guess that the scheduler is set to run as a Windows service, and the job is set to run in the default security context (no specific user account set). In that case, the job runs with the scheduler service account permissions.

When you try running a job using remote scheduler as if it was a remote agent (that's ok) you push the entire job definition from some other machine and you explicitly specify user's account to use for the job, which is not the same as the scheduler service account. In that case the job fails. Most likely reasons: the specified user doesn't have "run as a batch" privilege, the user doesn't have "create or modify process token" privilege, or the user's environment is different, different environment variables, paths, etc… and in that context the job is unable to find the specified batch file or one of its dependencies.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Sorry, thats not quite what I'm seeing, your first paragraph is quite correct but the problem is when doing exactly the same but the agent property of the job on the scheduler is a remote agent not a local one. The web console handles this correctly, the remote control one doesn't.

There aren't any remote schedulers in this picture.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Let me rephrase. Let's say the graphical remote control is on system A, the scheduler is on system B, the agent is on system C. The job is scheduled on B and set to run as a remote job on C. When you use the graphical remote control to run the job, it runs on B instead of C, not doing 2 expected hoops. Did I get it correctly?

If I got it, the answer is that is an expected behavior, the job started from the remote control cannot make 2 hoops if you choose remote mode, I mean A to B and B to C. The trick here is to choose local mode. In that case the remote control should make a direct connection from A to C and start running the job on C, basically doing that in 1 hoop.

Hope this works for you.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
will the remote agent profiles from the master scheduler apply to the local context on the remote control box to allow that to work?
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Very good point. In the remote control you would need to setup a host/agent profile for the agent, using the same name as the name specified in the job properties.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
ssyed_pti

Post Remote control Service not started Reply with quote
I installed the 24x7 scheduler on a windows server. When I ran the master.bat, the scheduler started but after giving a message, "Remote control service did not start". I am not able to connect to the alert center from the client on my laptop.
Any help would be appreciated.
Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The port assigned to the "remote control service" is in use by another application. Shutdown that application or in the scheduler's settings pick a different port number.
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: