SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
debug.log will not appear when trace is enabled
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
debug.log will not appear when trace is enabled
nickb

Post debug.log will not appear when trace is enabled Reply with quote
I'm running scheduler version 3.4.26 on our production system (Windows based) and we're having issues nightly with jobs getting hung. I went to options>>>log tab>>> and clicked trace enabled and no debug.log. I have 3.6.10 running our test system and do the same thing and the debug.log appears like it should. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated because this issue has been going for weeks.

Nick
Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Be sure to restart the scheduler after enabling the trace.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:17 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
I did that and the debug.log file still isn't there. We're on our 2nd night of 24x7 "hanging". Without a good log we're unable to troubleshoot.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Ok, the trace issue is because of the age of your installation ... the trace output to debug.log was not introduced until 3.5. In 3.4 you'll find trace files by job id (e.g., <job>.log)

Can you describe which jobs are hanging, their types, operations, etc. If they're script types, take a look in the corresponding <jobid>.log file and find the last executed operation.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:14 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
If I browse to \\condor\c$\Program Files (x86)\24x7 Automation 3\Performance Data all I see is .jpd extensions.

There are roughly around 75 of the jobs that are hanging. Basically what they do is call a vbs script that it turns runs some JAVA code that we use for our ETL data warehouse. The first jobs that kick would be the parent tables and all the child tables are semaphore based on the parent completion. In the past 2 nights I have basically just stopped the service and restarted it, and the jobs kicked off. We have the license for 3.6.10. Do you think it could be a bug in the 3.4 version that we're running?

Thanks.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Is condor the machine where everything runs? Is there any indication that it's a network connection issue if not?
Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
Yes, Condor is the machine running 24x7. In reviewing the event logs, I'm not seeing any errors or issues with network connections.
Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Presumably things were running before, so it's unlikely to be a bug.

Did you make any changes recently to either scripts or the system?
Any anti-virus updates blocking VBScript processes?
Any related events in windows app logs?
Did you check locks in the ETL database?
Do you have all jobs assigned to a single job queue?
Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:56 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
SysOpJ wrote:
Presumably things were running before, so it's unlikely to be a bug.

Did you make any changes recently to either scripts or the system?
Any anti-virus updates blocking VBScript processes?
Any related events in windows app logs?
Did you check locks in the ETL database?
Do you have all jobs assigned to a single job queue?

1) We recently removed all database connections and made the jobs run as VBscripts. That was over a week ago and this problem started 2 days ago.
2) No.
3) Nothing.
4) Ran script to check for blocking and no blocking.
5) No. We have 11 queues, not including the default.

At this point we are strongly looking to upgrade to 3.6.10. It may not magically fix it but at least we would have better logging. I also should have mentioned that we're running Windows 2003 server x64
Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
It may help the logging, yes, although the question of why you aren't seeing logs now remains. At the very least, if you have the trace turned on, you should be seeing logs for the jobs that are not hanging.

Is it possible there's another install directory elsewhere (perhaps under Program Files rather than Program Files (x86)? Can you do a search on the filesystem for any <integer>.log file names?

Or if you'd rather go ahead with the update, let me know what the log results look like afterwards.
Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
SysOpJ wrote:
It may help the logging, yes, although the question of why you aren't seeing logs now remains. At the very least, if you have the trace turned on, you should be seeing logs for the jobs that are not hanging.

Is it possible there's another install directory elsewhere (perhaps under Program Files rather than Program Files (x86)? Can you do a search on the filesystem for any <integer>.log file names?

Or if you'd rather go ahead with the update, let me know what the log results look like afterwards.

We ended up upgrading on Friday 11/5 and it seemed to help out a bunch. Every job ran during the weekend without hanging. One thing I'm working on since the upgrade is a pop up that displays everytime someone logs into the server. It basically says that 24x7 scheduler is running as a windows service. We had this in the previous version but it only popped up when you launched scheduler.
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Make sure there is not still a shortcut in the Startup folder now that you're running it as a service.
Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
SysOpJ wrote:
Make sure there is not still a shortcut in the Startup folder now that you're running it as a service.

That worked. I think I'm getting closer to the underlying issue. When the errors occur at night there are messages in the event viewer "Application popup: cmd.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application. " This error happens exactly the same time the error occur. There were also some errors about desktop heap.
Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
There can sometimes be an issue with (at least) SQL 2000 and 2005, in which the desktop heap is depleted by too many running instances of the agent process, cmd.exe, etc.

Please see this document for an example of what may be happening: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422

You might try looking at the desktop heap when you see this issue pop up with this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5cfc9b74-97aa-4510-b4b9-b2dc98c8ed8b
Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:31 am View user's profile Send private message
nickb

Post Reply with quote
SysOpJ wrote:
There can sometimes be an issue with (at least) SQL 2000 and 2005, in which the desktop heap is depleted by too many running instances of the agent process, cmd.exe, etc.

Please see this document for an example of what may be happening: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422

You might try looking at the desktop heap when you see this issue pop up with this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5cfc9b74-97aa-4510-b4b9-b2dc98c8ed8b

Now I have an application error that is causing the jobs to error out.

Faulting application 24X7.EXE, version 3.6.1.0, faulting module PBVM70.DLL, version 7.0.3.10095, fault address 0x00255516.
Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: