SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Unit Tests don't fail if any results returned

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Unit Tests don't fail if any results returned
rick_townsend

Post Unit Tests don't fail if any results returned Reply with quote
I'm trying to set up unit tesng, and it seems like the tests automatically succeed if any statement returns a resultset. Is that by design?

For example, I execute a stored proc to update some data and it returns a resultset of one row with the value "Success". I'd then expect to be able to follow that with an assertion statement like:
Code:
if not exists (select * from table where data = updated_value) raiserror('Data wasn't updated', 16, 1)

so that the test case would actually fail. Howevr even if the error is raised, SQL Assstant passes the test case.

Is the only way to do this to put the execute and assertion statements in separate test cases?

Here's a trivial example showing what I mean. Put this code in the Execute tab of a test case, and the test case will fail:
Code:
--select 1 as x;

raiserror('Fail!', 16, 1);

Uncomment the first line, and the test case will pass:
Code:
select 1 as x;

raiserror('Fail!', 16, 1);

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:11 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm able to reproduce your results and I don't think this is the intended behavior. I'll check with the developers tomorrow morning to ensure we aren't missing anything here.
Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:17 am View user's profile Send private message
rick_townsend

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. If the devs have a pattern for creating tests that avoids this issue, please let me know and I'll happily give that a try.
Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This has been confirmed as a bug. A fix for that is available and will be provided in the next maintenance release 5.1. No official release time is known yet for 5.1, and it may take a while.

If you have an effective maintenance for your license, we can provide you with the latest private build which contains the referenced fix.
Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 am View user's profile Send private message
rick_townsend

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
This has been confirmed as a bug. A fix for that is available and will be provided in the next maintenance release 5.1.

I've just installed the new maintenance release 5.1.7, and the bug still seems to be there. Did the fix not make it into this release?

SysOp wrote:
If you have an effective maintenance for your license, we can provide you with the latest private build which contains the referenced fix.

We have an active maintenance license, but I'd rather stay with the main build sequence. This isn't an important bug, more of an irritation, so I'm willing to wait for it to come out in a fully tested production build.

Cheers,
Rick
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for reporting this issue. I'm checking on the status of this fix and will provide an update as soon as possible.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It appears the handling of code execution errors is connection type dependent and there are separate fixes for unit tests error handling for different connection types. Some of them made into the initial 5.1 build, some didn't, yet.

To see it for yourself, in SQL Assistant settings enable Notepad as a target for SQL Server, change assistance type to SQL Server, change connection type to ODBC. Open Notepad, right-click choose Unite Testing, open your test project. Run it and you should see that the unit test with SELECT … RAISERROR case fails as expected.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
rick_townsend

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
It appears the handling of code execution errors is connection type dependent and there are separate fixes for unit tests error handling for different connection types. Some of them made into the initial 5.1 build, some didn't, yet.

Ok, thanks for looking it this for me. I think I'll skip Notepad for now and wait for the fix to make it into the SSMS connection.

Cheers,

Rick
Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This should be fixed for all db interfaces in 5.1.10. Please update your version
Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:10 am View user's profile Send private message
rick_townsend

Post Fixed Reply with quote
Yes, it now works as expected. Thank you for the quick turn around.
Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: