SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Issues w/ 5.0.97 Standard Edition

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Issues w/ 5.0.97 Standard Edition
seth.rothman

Post Issues w/ 5.0.97 Standard Edition Reply with quote
I've been having performance issues in SSMS ever since I upgraded to v5. Lately anything I do is excruciatingly slow. I'm talking about mouse clicking, scrolling, selecting text, typing, clicking menus, etc. I want to determine if it's SQL Assistant causing the issue so is there a way to temporarily disable the add-in from loading other than uninstalling it completely? I'm running Win7 x64 if it matters...
Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sure. You can simply uncheck checkbox in front of MS Management Studio target options.

Also, try disabling the background syntax checker. This think draws additional server resources and may have performance impact if db connection is slow. One more thing, try disabling "Display mouse-over" hints for this target, this also generates additional database input/output.
Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
seth.rothman

Post Reply with quote
It appears to be SQL Assistant causing the slowdown, but only when connected to a remote server (via Cisco VPN). I turned off everything you suggested (only mouse-overs were on anyway) and there wasn't a noticeable difference. Disabling the SSMS add-in in its entirety made the issue go away. I realize that there would need to some overhead for everything that SQL Assistant does but it's just too slow to use now. Just to be clear, I'm talking the general use of SSMS, not just the intellisense functionality. I literally can't even select blocks of text without a 2-4 second delay. I never had this type of issue with v4 so my next step will be to uninstall v5 and reinstall the older version to see if it's any better...
Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:38 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If near real-time syntax checking is completely disabled, speed of a connection should not be a big issue after the initial caches are populated. However, in certain cases, if you often switch between different databases, caches are refreshed often and that wouldn't help much.

I'd like to suggest checking database connection settings for this connection. Something switching between ADO.NET and ODBC or visa versa makes a huge difference. Network host name resolution could be also a significant factor if it constantly requires access to slow remote DNS servers.

Also please verify the connection is set to use TCP/IP protocol, not network pipes. Pipes are used by default. This sometimes makes a huge difference in performance of client/server communications when connecting over VPN.
Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: