SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Disable auto-popup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Disable auto-popup
ils

Post Disable auto-popup Reply with quote
Hi.

Please, tell me, how can I disable 'auto-popup' feature and how can I get SQLAssistant's window visible only by pressing Ctrl+Space, not all the time?

Thanks.
Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:11 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
What's wrong there with auto-popups (e.g. SQL Intelisense?)
Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 am View user's profile Send private message
ils

Post Reply with quote
Everything is ok. But I don't need any assistance most the time, I want help once in a hour, not any time I stop typing.
Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:39 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm afraid there is no way to disable that. Basically, that's one of the most important features of the product used by everybody else. Perhaps you aren't using it correctly or not understanding the product working.

Let me make another attempt. I am trying to understand what's bothering you, so perhaps, I can suggest an alternative solution or help to tune the configuration.

Which SQL editor are you using?

By the way, are you are aware that Intellisense suggestions are not interruptive? You don't need to react in any way when context based prompts popups are rendered on the screen. If you don't need these suggestions, you can just continue typing as if nothing was new was displayed.
Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:04 am View user's profile Send private message
ils

Post Reply with quote
Ok, ok. The main thing bothering me is annoying popups. Just popups. Let me explain my problem.

I type "declare @x int", and I type quickly, in two seconds. Then I stop typing thinking what to do further. And then I see this *** popup window!!!
I do not wait for help, I just thinking, and I do not want to see any popup window that close half of my workplace.

Did I explain the problem?
Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This explanation is helpful. I think we are getting somewhere.

Try 2 things:
1. Next time you get a popup, resize it, and make it smaller. It will remember the last used size. But don't make it too small, you will hurt yourself :)
2. In SQL Assistant options, activate DB Options tab. Select SQL Server assistance type on the left. On the right, set Intellisense SQL Keywords to No.

Hope that will do it for you.

---------------
By the way, how quickly can you type SELECT TOP 10 * FROM ? I type it with 4 key presses SE[arrow down][enter] because I added SELECT TOP 10 * FROM to my frequent keywords prompt section. If Intellisense SQL Keywords is disabled, that wouldn't work. To create a body of a stored procedure with complete header, comments, etc.. I use 5 key presses, proc[ctrl+enter] There are many other ways to get coding process more efficient. It takes a little while to learn various SQL Assistant shortcuts, there are quite a few of them.
Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:47 am View user's profile Send private message
tkdennis

Post Reply with quote
Please consider adding an option to disable the automatic pop-up dialogs. I'm not a fast typist so it's popping up a lot and then my arrow keys are stuck in the pop-up box until I hit escape. I would much rather hit a hotkey when I want something than have it jump up on its own.

Thank you,
Traci
Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
What do you use arrow keys for when you're in middle of typing something?
Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
tkdennis

Post Reply with quote
I stop to read what I've typed, then use the arrow keys to move the cursor to someplace I want to make a change.
Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
My guess is you want to disable automatic popups for keywords. That's easy. Open SQL Assistant options, click DB Options tab, select your database type in SQL Assistance box, on the right side of the dialog either set Intellisense SQL Keywords to No to disable that feature, or to keep that feature on, but don't display keyword popup automatically, change Suggest Keywords After (chr) from 2 to some fairly large value, for example, to 20
Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:38 am View user's profile Send private message
tkdennis

Post Reply with quote
I already disabled the keyword pop-ups, and changed Suggest Keyword After (chr) to 0. I'm watching closer, and here is what is happening:

1. Copied:
select *
from database.schema.tablename
where column in (1,2)
2. Used arrow keys to highlight schema.tablename
3. Typed:
diff.viewname
4. Tried to arrow down, then shift-arrow up to highlight entire statement, but pop-up was in the way suggesting table names that also started with "viewname" , so I didn't need it and it grabbed all my arrows. Since the actual object names were short, and I've typed them a lot, it was easier to not use SQL Assistant, so I would rather tell it to wait until I want its help spelling a long name, then to have it jump up and intercept the arrows until I look up from the keys and discover I'm arrowing in the pop-up instead and need to hit ESC and start over.

Is it very difficult to add an option to stop automatic pop-up? I'm a lot like the original poster - I know when I want help, and I don't want anything popping into my screen until I call for it.

Thanks,
Traci
Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
tkdennis

Post Reply with quote
Another situation:

1. typed EXEC
2. hig ctrl-v to paste "database.schema.procname @param = @param"
3. hit ctrl-shift-left arrow twice to highlight @param and started typing literal 123
4. wound up with EXEC database.schema.procname @param = @param123 because pop-up was in the way again.

Thanks,
Traci
Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
What is the version of your SA? The latest version(s) close the popup upon pasting something into the editor.

Also, does not pressing ctrl-shift-left arrow twice result in selecting "= @param"?
Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
tkdennis

Post Reply with quote
SA version is 6.1.35. I downloaded it 3 days ago to see if it could replace Red-Gate SQL Prompt (because that one really slows down SSMS when long scripts are open with lots of CTEs, plus it's doesn't support Synonyms). It's definitely staying up after EXEC <paste> whether I use Ctrl-v, shift-insert or the mouse to Edit->Paste. It does go away if I mouse-right-click, paste.

You're right, it is just 1 ctrl-shift-left arrow to select @param, not 2. My intention was to highlight just "@param" and type the literal to produce "@param = 123"

Another situation is:
1. typed
UPDATE database.schema.table SET
column = 1
FROM
2. hit up arrow twice to get to the UPDATE statement to copy the table name, but the pop-up is in the way again from the FROM, even though I've set Intellisense SQL Keywords to No, and Suggest Keyword After (chr) to 100. Is there something else I need to set?

I noticed this happened too:
1. typed
UPDATE database.schema.table SET
column =
FROM
2. the pop-up came up after the = and stayed up through "{Enter}FROM " and caught the arrows again. I wasn't going to set the column value until I'd finished the FROM/JOIN clause I intended, so I skipped it.

Thanks for your help,
Traci
Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
tkdennis wrote:
It's definitely staying up after EXEC <paste> whether I use Ctrl-v, shift-insert or the mouse to Edit->Paste. It does go away if I mouse-right-click, paste.

Strange. It goes away when I use CTRL + v but stays after SHIFT + Insert. In first case I end up with "@param = 123" and with "@param = @param123" in the latter, just as you described. I haven't tried methods involving mousing (I consider them way too slow).

I have no idea for UPDATE. I always use the following snippet for updates so the popup only comes after pressing "."
Code:

UPDATE   u
SET
   u|
FROM   
   $OBJECT(table,view)$ AS u

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: