SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Does not show sys data type in list

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Does not show sys data type in list
hitesh

Post Does not show sys data type in list Reply with quote
Hi,

I am using SQL Assistance ver 4.5.9 on SQL Server 2005 SP2 Express Edition.

Pl see the below screen shorts to get an idea of what I am trying to explain. I hope you too will experience the same. Pl makes the necessary corrections in next maintenance update.

Hitesh
Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:34 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Are you using a customized query for the Columns list or modified settings in the Custom Assistance area?
There were significant changes n v4.5 in the Columns query design?
Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
I am using "T-SQL default setting"
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the "Columns" query associated with "SQL Server" assistance type (see DB Queries section on DB Options tab) and "Custom Assistance" section on the same type. When you install upgrades, SQL Assistant attempts to copy settings from the previous version. There could be something in the settings, some customized query, parameters or data type names that is/are causing this effect.

I suggest to backup your current SQL Assistant config file (it is located in the Application Data\SQL Assistant\4.5 folder) and restore the default preconfigured settings using the Restore button in SQL Assistant options dialog, then Apply button. Please let us know if that helps
Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunatly, even after restoring default settings, I am experiencing the same behaviour as explained above!

Hitesh
Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
After having a second look at your screenshots, I think I figured out what you are talking about. You expect that a list of data-types will appear after the column name in a DDL statement. You are confusing this feature with data types declaration and DECLATE TABLE. Try typing something like "DECLARE @test TABLE ( cola " this will popup a list of data-type suggestions. Data type suggestions do not work the same way in DDL statement.

PS. DDL statements are supported via Ctrl+F1 or you can click "Need help with CREATE?" balloon tip.
Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:29 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
But the most likely action after declaring a column name is defining its data type! isn't it?
So in my view poping up all system data type list automatically is the right behaviour in this context. Just think about this!

Anyways, thanks for the prompt support.

Hitesh
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:27 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
What you suggest definitely makes sense. However, currently SQL Assistant internally treats declarations of variables and types, DML, DDL, and GRD statements differently and offers different type of assistance for these categories. An enhancement could be made to treat CREATE TABLE and other CREATE statements differently from the rest of DDL and offer different type of assistance based on the cursor position.
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
Such solution would be appreciated by developers & personally by me too :-)

Thanks
Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:40 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
My initial findings are still not working in latest ver 4.8!
Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:10 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Version 4.8 is mostly a bug fix release, to clear known bugs before next major version.

What you described as "supposed to list" for system data-types is not currently a feature of SQL Assistant 4.8 or previous versions. I don't know why you think it is a bug and it is supposed to work as you described it. Yet, it might be implemented in some future releases.

Best regards,
SysOp
Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:27 am View user's profile Send private message
hitesh

Post Reply with quote
why I termed as bug is bcoz, It work for 1st col when table col is defined but does not work for subsequent col! so wht do u say that. you give a try and see yourself.
Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ahh..., I see where your assumption come from. This behavior is not currently supported. The "why" explanation is very long. In brief, SQL Assistant doesn't currently support semantical parsing of DDL statements. The SQL Reference feature of SQL Assistant is currently capable of parsing simple constructs without recurring elements, like multiple column names, multiple constraints, etc... these are the elements indicated on DDL statement syntax diagram by loop-back lines.
Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: