SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
intellisense not working in ssms 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
intellisense not working in ssms 2014
sirvincent

Post intellisense not working in ssms 2014 Reply with quote
hi,

i have ssms 2008 R2 and ssms 2014 recently installed on my computer. intellisense is working fine with ssms 2018 R2, but won't work with ssms 2014.
i have tried to un-register and re-register ssms in sql assistant, uninstall and re-install sql assistant, run ssms in 'run as administrator' mode but no use.
so, any help and/or suggestions is/are appreciated.
thanks
Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Are you running an old version of SQL Assistant released before SSMS 2014 became generally available?
Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:47 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
version is 7.5.496 standard edition, the last version
Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:58 am View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
This is what worked for me:
Close both sql assist and ssms
run sql assist in admin
unregister add-on
register add-on
exit sql assist
open sql assist (normal user)
open SSMS (normal user)
Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Another method that can do the trick is running the following command from a DOS command prompts opened with elevated privileges (the Run as Administrator mode)

sacmd.exe reg:1

If nothing helps, temporarily disable Windows UAC, re-register the add-on and then re-enable UAC
Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:35 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
judahr wrote:
This is what worked for me:
Close both sql assist and ssms
run sql assist in admin
unregister add-on
register add-on
exit sql assist
open sql assist (normal user)
open SSMS (normal user)

i tried this one and still the same - not working
Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:46 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Another method that can do the trick is running the following command from a DOS command prompts opened with elevated privileges (the Run as Administrator mode)

If nothing helps, temporarily disable Windows UAC, re-register the add-on and then re-enable UAC

running 'sacmd.exe reg:1' throws the following message:

'sacmd.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

UAC also didn't solve the problem
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Did you run sacmd from C:\Program files (x86)\SQL Assistant 7 folder or from some other place. To run it, please open command line window in elevated mode (Run as Administrator) then
C:
cd "C:\Program files (x86)\SQL Assistant 7"

Does this work for you?
Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:20 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Did you run sacmd from C:\Program files (x86)\SQL Assistant 7 folder or from some other place. To run it, please open command line window in elevated mode (Run as Administrator) then
C:
cd "C:\Program files (x86)\SQL Assistant 7"

Does this work for you?

i did now and this is the message:

C:\Windows\system32>cd "C:\Program files (x86)\SQL Assistant 7"

C:\Program Files (x86)\SQL Assistant 7>sacmd.exe reg:1
SQL Assistant version 7.5.496
Copyright (c) 2016 SoftTree Technologies, Inc.
==================================================

Error 99: This feature is not available for your license type
Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:03 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please check in the registry if HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SoftTree Technologies, Inc.\SQL Assistant\AllUsers value is set to string value '1' (without quotes)

If not, please set it to 1. After that start SQL Assistant normally, not in Run as Administrator mode.
Unregister and register the add-on using Options dialog as you tried that before. When you do that, you should get windows elevation prompt (if UAC enabled). It is OK and expected. If all goes well, SQL Assistant should appear in SSMS 2014 menu in the editor.

By the way, do you see SQL Assistant menus in the SSMS Object Explorer when you right-click a database or table?
Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:57 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Please check in the registry if HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SoftTree Technologies, Inc.\SQL Assistant\AllUsers value is set to string value '1' (without quotes)

If not, please set it to 1. After that start SQL Assistant normally, not in Run as Administrator mode.
Unregister and register the add-on using Options dialog as you tried that before. When you do that, you should get windows elevation prompt (if UAC enabled). It is OK and expected. If all goes well, SQL Assistant should appear in SSMS 2014 menu in the editor.

By the way, do you see SQL Assistant menus in the SSMS Object Explorer when you right-click a database or table?

i don't have this key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, i have it in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and 'AllUsers' value is set to 1.
and elevation prompt is not displayed when sql assistant is started ...

SQL Assistant menu is displayed in ssms Object Explorer when database or table is right-clicked.

i have upgraded sql assistant yesterday to new version 7.5.499 and now sql assistant is not working neither in ssms 2008 nor 2014 ...
Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:24 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
i don't have this key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, i have it in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and 'AllUsers' value is set to 1.

This most likely indicates a security issue. Please download and run then full setup and start it in 'Run as Administrator' mode. If you don't have local administrator privileges for your computer, could you please ask your system administrator to install it for you?
Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:07 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:

This most likely indicates a security issue. Please download and run then full setup and start it in 'Run as Administrator' mode. If you don't have local administrator privileges for your computer, could you please ask your system administrator to install it for you?

well, i ran setup as administrator and install it. the situation is like this:
- sql assistant works on ssms 2008
- sql assistant does not work on ssms 2014
- when ssms 2014 is opened 'restore tabs' window is displayed (which was not the case previously) but the tabs from ssms 2008 are restored not from ssms 2014 ...

so, we are progressing a little bit ...
Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
i don't have this key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- this is a sure sign of something going wrong. Can you please temporarily disable UAC and return the setup again? Don't uninstall anything, that's not needed. Just be sure when running the setup you choose select add-ons for SSMS to be installed.

Another thing, in case of a successful setup, you should have the following file installed. Please verify it's actually there
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions\SoftTree Technologies\SqlAssist.vs\1.0\extension.vsixmanifest
Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:34 am View user's profile Send private message
sirvincent

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
i don't have this key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- this is a sure sign of something going wrong. Can you please temporarily disable UAC and return the setup again? Don't uninstall anything, that's not needed. Just be sure when running the setup you choose select add-ons for SSMS to be installed.

Another thing, in case of a successful setup, you should have the following file installed. Please verify it's actually there
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions\SoftTree Technologies\SqlAssist.vs\1.0\extension.vsixmanifest

i re-ran setup as admin again as you suggested (ssms add-on is selected by default) and it's still the same as in previous post.
key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is still missing.

i have this part:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions

and this part:
\SoftTree Technologies\SqlAssist.vs\1.0\extension.vsixmanifest

is missing.
Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:05 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: