SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Queue management as a service

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Queue management as a service
LeeD

Post Queue management as a service Reply with quote
Hi
WE're having some issues with jobs hanging and blocking the queue they are in, some are local jobs and some are remote jobs via the native remote agent functionality. What is the best way for us to clear out the job from the queue given that we are running 24x7 windows version as a service?

Cheers
Lee
Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Does it happen randomly or you see a pattern? Are these jobs set to run detached?

If they run detached, you can simply kill them from the task manager. If you enable Performance Stats collection option, you can lookup .JPD files in the Performance Data subfolder, to get system process id for each started job. This process id is the same number as the number displayed in the Windows task manager's PID column. You can also use our command line ProcessKill utility to terminate tasks by program name, rather then by process id.

Lastly, the 24x7 web console (JSP version) provides an ability to kill tasks from the Queue Monitor. I'm not sure how well this works with the Windows version of 24x7
Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Which column in the jpd file is the pid?
How does this relate to remote agent jobs; where will I find the jpd and do I need to enable perf stats on the remote agent separately?
The JSP web console version we have does have a queue monitor but no method to kill jobs that I can see.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
First column is the process id, second column is thread id. But wait... There is a better place to check. Check stats.log file in the 24x7 installation folder. This file is more descriptive. For every job it has things written in plain text, like "Process ID: 4980"

As for the web console, the value you are looking for is to the right, you need to scroll the window and the "kill" icon is displayed next to the number.
Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Err...the web console doesn't have a kill button on my version

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Also the hangs on one particular remote agent job seem to be at least partially connected to a bug in the semaphore handling code; the GUI says that if a directory doesn't exist then it will be created when the 'move semaphore file after run' is selected but it doesn't happen. I am using a UNC path to represent that directory.
Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hmm... I think it will be unable to create a new directory using UNC path. I've yet got to try it, but my thinking that it will fail while reparsing the directory tree and trying to figure out missing elements of the path. This is just a guess based on past experience, I haven't tried that yet.

Which version of the console are you running? Just in case, the version number is displayed on the logon page.
Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
24x7 Web Console Version 4.1.0 build 261

If there is a newer build I'd be happy to try it.
Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The last public is #263, and the function to terminate/delete jobs remotely have been around for a while. Yet, your screenshot convinced me that something is not exactly working the way I told you. Sorry for the caused confusion. Your screenshot made me connect to the web server running 24x7 console and find out that indeed there is a difference in the way the console treats the MP and Windows versions of 24x7. You can see that difference on the attached screenshots.

Queue Monitor in 3.4.33 (Windows)

Job Monitor in 3.4.33 (Windows)

Queue Monitor in 4.1.273 (MP)

Job Monitor in 4.1.273 (MP)

I think I know the reason. At the time of the web console last build, the APIs for 24x7 Windows versions didn't support remote job termination from queue and job monitors and the MP version did, that's why the function and "kill" buttons are only exposed when connected MP version. Several updated for the Windows version have been released since that. I don't know whether latest updates support this function now. I'll need some time to find it out.
Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Any advance on this?
Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This feature is now supported. Please see latest announcements in this forum for more details
Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:27 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: