SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Again SQL Server 2008 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Again SQL Server 2008 problem
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Are you sure it was working on the same system with older SSMS versions from previous release candidate builds for MS SQL 2008?

The reason I am stressing the "same system" is because many application problems (don't mean just SQL Assistant) are known to be caused by Vista file virtualization and settings virtualization features, roaming profiles, and other similar security related behavioral things. If the security is configured differently, the same application may behave differently on different systems, impacted by Vista behavior. For example, when Vista was first released we made a very significant effort updating SQL Assistant code for making Vista permanently save user settings in a regular SQL Assistant's .INI file that used to work flawlessly on all other system types.

So, have you installed recently any Vista updates or service packs? Separately or when prompted by latest MS SQL 2008 install? Do you have UAC enabled?
Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:06 am View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Are you sure it was working on the same system with older SSMS versions from previous release candidate builds for MS SQL 2008?
So, have you installed recently any Vista updates or service packs? Separately or when prompted by latest MS SQL 2008 install? Do you have UAC enabled?

Yes it worked with Beta 2 version of SSMS.
I am at day with the latest vista updates with a WSUS server and UAC is enabled.
Do wou have a Vista machine with SSMS 2008 and SQL Assistant working ?
Can you connect to a database engine (2008) from another machine ?
Can you send me your SAS file if it's working ?
Thank's
Sorin
P.S.
I am just trying to make SQL Assistant a better product.
Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:45 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yes, it is working ok. As an additional proof, you know that the other gentlemen having initially the same problem could get it working after switching to Run As Admin mode.

I'll send you a copy of .SAS file from a Vista system later today. UAC is disabled on most of our systems because of its usability issues.
Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:54 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I tried it with UAC and without UAC and it is still working ok. I think the issue has nothing to do with SQL Assistant configuration. It is likely caused by some security settings on your system.

Just in case here is a fragment of my .SAS file for SSMS 2008 from the Vista system.

Code:
[targets.6]
enabled=1
caption=MS Management Studio
exeName=SqlWb.exe,ssmsee.exe,ssms.exe
exeTitle=Microsoft SQL Server%
clsName=VsTextEditPane
dcType=2
integr=2
spell_lang=0904
spell_real=0
hotTrack=1
jumpBrack=2
hiliBrack=FFFF
selKey=0
timeout=60
ctxHint=5
sqlRef=5
assist=SQL Server
rules=T-SQL Default Style
snips=T-SQL Snippets
hotAssist=00
hotRefer=00
hotStruct=00
hotBird=00
hotDDL=00
hotTable=00
hotExec=00
hotExecOn=00
hotSynCheck=00
hotSpell=00
hotFormat=00
hotBrackets=00
hoComment=00
hotUncomment=00
hotCloseAll=00
hotTarget=00
statist.active=1
statist.user=450
statist.sa=1933
statist.min=73

Note that I got SQL Assistant SSMS add-on registered. As a result I don't really need to run it as a systray application to have it run in SSMS. I still have it for other targets, but for SSMS it is not really required because SSMS itself is responsible for loading the add-in.

Also please note that the add-on registration is not saved in the .SAS file, it is saved in the registry and that's why you cannot see it above. For more info about the add-on, see SQL Assistant manual. Of course, in order to have the add-in registered you must either run SQL assistant install as local admin and chose that option in the install, or if you have it already installed start SQL Assistant systray application as local admin, double-click on the systray icon to open SQL Assistant's options dialog, and there change settings for SSMS target. In the Advanced section choose True for the "Register SQL Assistant Add-on"
SSMS target there.
Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
ssandu

Post Reply with quote
Thank's I solved it now.
It seems that without running SQL Assistant in systray and marking it to run as administrator solved my problem.
Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: