SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Running SQL Assist as another user (Run as)

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Running SQL Assist as another user (Run as)
paulm

Post Running SQL Assist as another user (Run as) Reply with quote
When I access SQL Server I have to do it under a specific account that gives me the permissions I need. For example, I'm always logged on to my PC as user yyMike. However, when I run SQL Query Analyzer I do a RUN AS xxMike to give me the permissions I need in SQL Server. SQL Assistant works fine when I am logged on to my machine as xxMike (the privileged account). But when I am logged on as yyMike and try to RUN AS xxMike SQL Assistant doesn't work?
Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You got to run it as the same user, otherwise it simply cannot interact with xxMike processes because of the Windows security.

An easy solution is to run SQL Assistant from command line as xxMike and have it start MS QA for you. They will then run in the same user context.

For details, run sqlassist /help from command line, look for the /launch option

Even better is to switch to SQL Server Management Studio 2005 (SSMS). The Express edition is free. In SSMS, SQL Assistant loads as a plug in the same process, so that you would not need to do anything special.
Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
paulm

Post Thanks Reply with quote
The /Launch works. I already have SQL 2005 on my machine. I will try that also. This maybe a good reason to start using the SQL 2005 GUI more. Thanks!
Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: