SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Event server file write

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Event server file write
LeeD

Post Event server file write Reply with quote
Hi I'm trying to get event server to do a basic check for new records in a text file and write a message to another text file but it's not working

a) when i try and leave the 'message contains' field in the event filter dialogue box blank as suggested in the parameter description it says that the parameter is required and must be entered. I can click past it the second time but that then wipes out any response type I have already specified.

b) when I enter the message contains parameter the event simply doesn't fire, even when I use a single non-separated word in the box and then enter that in the text file with a carriage return. Do I need quotes or something or a wildcard?
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please try entering just anything for the parameter. Close the management console and open 24x7es.ini in Notepad. Find the entered text and remove it along with the preceding parameter name.
Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Ok, so that makes it work with no message parameter, how can I get it to work with one in it?
Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
I also cannot get it to watch an service either, simply no response when I take it down. Is there a log or a trace or something that I can check to see what it is doing?
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
For debugging purposes you can run it as a console mode application using /c command switch.
24x7es.exe /c

Regardless of the run mode, it always writes messages to the Windows Application Event Log if an event configuration is invalid or if a run-time error occurred during event processing or event monitor initialization.
Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:33 am View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
I get no output out of the console mode switch; that suggests that perhaps my event filters are wrong but there's so little to configure in there that I can't see how it can be.

Should the service name have quotes around it or not?
Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please post relevant fragment of 24x7es.ini file so I can see how you setup this event monitor.
Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
This is a test event obviously :-)

[event sdfd]
type name=NT Service stop
event=type=ServiceEvent;service="Client for NFS";event=stop;
monitor=type=2;frequency=5;
action=type=RunProcess;cmd_line=notepad;
owner=ldowse01
create time=26-Nov-2007 09:36:02
Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It looks like you specify Service Display Name for the service to watch while you need to specify Service Name, which is not the same thing.
Service Name is available in the service properties in the Control Panel -> Services. See the first line on the General tab of the service Properties dialog.

Hope this helps
Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
please see piccy

:-)
Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please try

[event sdfd]
type name=NT Service stop
event=type=ServiceEvent;service=Client for NFS;event=stop;
monitor=type=2;frequency=5;
action=type=RunProcess;cmd_line=notepad;
action2=type=GUIMessage;title=Service Status;message=Client for NFS service is not running;

When you test this event, make sure the service is running and then stopped. Wait for 5 seconds before giving up. Also, in order to be able to see Notepad or the GUI message, the Event Server service must be setup to run under LocalSystem account and the Allow Service To Interact With Desktop option must be checked, then the messages and the launched Notepad will appear on the user desktop, otherwise they will appear on the invisible services desktop and you will not be able to see them.
Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
Ok, so the missing piece was the interact with desktop service switch. Please add it to the documentation on the next release, I have just checked and it's not there.

Thanks very much for the help.
Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:18 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: