SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Log Error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Log Error
pdupuis

Post Log Error Reply with quote
Hi,

I am using remote control, when I click on Log I have the error: Item... does not pass validation test. If I click on Ok I have a second error message: Item validation error on IMPORT. Continue IMPORT? "

Please could you help?

Thanks.
Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It sounds like you got corrupted schedule.log or at least some text in that file, which is not supposed to be there. Are you using custom messages for logging job progress or events?

Try renaming schedule.log file on the scheduler and see if you still get this error.
Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
pdupuis

Post Reply with quote
I renamed the "schedule.log" and restart 24x7 scheduler service to have a fresh log file and I still have the same error.

Thanks.
Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The only other file loaded in that session is holidays.txt. Are there any entries in that file with very long or multi-line names, or holiday names containing tab characters?
Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
pdupuis

Post Reply with quote
The holidays.txt is empty. Any idea?
How I can sent you both files?
Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Then it is not a cause of the problem. I ran out of ideas and need to check what else could be causing this strange error. I will get back to you when I have something to suggest.
Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:03 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It has to be one of the log files, that is causing the problem. Did you rename the file while the scheduler was running or while it was shutdown? I wander if you did it while it was running the file got overwritten from the cache.
Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
pdupuis

Post Reply with quote
I did a shutdown before. Any other idea?
Thanks.
Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hmmm, sounds like this trail got cold.

Let's start from beginning to ensure something is not overlooked.
1. Please stop the scheduler and make a backup of all of its files (just copy them to a different directory)
2. Delete all log files in 24x7 directory and all files in the Queue subdirectories
3. Empty content of holiday.txt but don't delete the file.
4. Start the scheduler.
5. On your workstation run the 24x7 Remote Control and make it connect to the server where the scheduler is running. Do you still get the same error?

If yes,
6. Disconnect and on the server, in the scheduler click File/New/Job Database, enter new file name.
7. Create a new folder File/New/Folder and then in that folder create a new job File/New/Job. Enter notepad.exe for the command line.
8. Save changes in the schedule File/Save
9. Make the remote control to connect again. Do you still get this error?

Note: To undo the changes, use File/Open menu in the scheduler to open your current job database file.
Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
DLUTER

Post Reply with quote
I've had this happen before when there was multiple instances of 24x7 running in the background. On our server we sometimes have people login through RDP opening up mutilple desktops. This caused the multiple instances (they didn't close out the programs) and several strange errors to occur.
Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
pdupuis

Post Reply with quote
I Clean the log and now I don't have error anymore.

But I only have job log info if I run job with "run now" button in remote control. If a job is schedule to run to a specific time and I open remote control to see log there is noting to see.

If I open the schedule.log I can see that my job ran without any problem.

Please could you help?

Thanks.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:15 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Here is what happens internally to the log when you use the Remote Control (assuming that you don't run on the Remote Control on the computer where the scheduler is running, which you should not do):

1. It establishes a connection to the scheduler.
2. Downloads job definitions for which you have access to.
3. Downloads scheduler settings.
4. Downloads all log files from the scheduler home folder and caches them locally. If you open the local folder where 24x7 has been installed, you should find a subfolder with the name of the remote host to which you are connected to. In that subfolder you should find copies of the remote log files.

When you use the Run Now function and choose to run the job locally for testing purposes, the job log goes into the local log files, not the subfolder. If you choose to run it remotely, the Remote Control simply sends a request to the server asking it to run the job. In this case, unless you reconnect to the server (which makes the remote control to download all stuff again) you are not going to see any updates in the log files displayed in the Remote Control.

As has been correctly suggested in the previous post, a common cause for 'wrong log' problems is when the scheduler or remote control is started in a terminal session or remote desktop session and not closed before ending the session. Even after the session ending, some orphaned instances of 24x7 may remain in the computer memory for some time locking files and/or responding to remote request.

Hope the working described above could help with troubleshooting this issue. If you want, you can open to the mentioned subfolder and check log files directly using Notepad or other non-blocking text file editor/viewer.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:51 am View user's profile Send private message
pdupuis

Post Reply with quote
I cannot see the same job log info on both side.

On the server side I see all log info:

On Remote Control side job log info are missing.

But job log info are in schedule.log on my workstation:

Why the remote agent does not load the scheduler.log correctly?

Thanks for your help.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:16 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed screenshots. I think I now know why. The main issue here is likely the difference in regional settings on the server and the client. Your data/time formats are different and this causes the Remote Control not to load same dates or just filter out records as too old. Please keep in mind that the log data is stored as a text. A value like 12/01/2007 may mean December 1, 2007 on one computer, while on another computer it may mean January 12, 2007.

In addition, it appears that you are running different versions of 24x7 on the server and on the client with an older version on the server. Not sure how old that version is, but the version difference can also cause anomalies in the processing or display. Either upgrade the server or install an older matching version on the client.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
So the upgrade and change in regional settings didn't help. Let's do the next check. After you connect the Remote Control to the server, please verify that files schedule.log on the server in the 24x7 home folder and schedule.log in the matching subfolder on the Remote Control computer are the same immediately after a successful connection. For details on where to find the subfolder see my first post in this topic. Please let us know what you find there.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: