SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
24x7 listed 48 times in task manager using 2gb of memory

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
24x7 listed 48 times in task manager using 2gb of memory
mojoyrider

Post 24x7 listed 48 times in task manager using 2gb of memory Reply with quote

As the attached task manager image indicates, our 24x7 scheduler that runs as a service is displaying more than 46 separate 24.7.exe instances in the services window. I have not seen this before. In addition, one of the 24x7.exe instances is using 1.2 gb of memory.

Looking at the html scheduling job log and also the job log it appears that many of our jobs have not run by some have.

1. Do you know why this is happening?

2. As a general rule, how many 24x7.exe instances should be running in the task mananger window at any given time?

3. Is our script creation causing these issues and if so do you have some suggestions on problem areas (it doesn't seem like this should be the problem as we have introduced no new scripts in the last month and I have not seen this behavior.
Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:37 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You got 45 detached jobs running + the main instance (46 all together). I guess the one using most memory is the main instance. I don't know if running 45 concurrent jobs is ok and whether you are expecting this. The schedule.log can provide you with an answer for what is running and when it started.

The likely reasons for so much memory used by the main instance are:

1) Frequently running jobs: once a minute schedule, for example, jobs are set to write to the log and its memory cache. Their entries are simply polluting the log and wasting valuable memory
2) Resource leaking: you are using notification actions of database type. Many database drivers are known to lose significant memory during database connects/disconnect.
3) End-less scripts concatenating values, for example, scripts running an internal loop and appending some values to the same memory variable, taking more a more memory on each pass.
Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
By the way, many 24x7 processes using 40K of memory certainly indicate some problems with detached job runs. Don't rush to change the job type, find out why these jobs hang after run or don't start at all. 40K is not enough to start any Windows process; this amount of memory simply doesn't make any sense.

Processes using 2 to 15MB look ok, yet comparing their relatively identical sizes, I can bet that you are dealing with just 1 or 2 rogue jobs causing the entire problem. If all this started only recently, try to disable recently modified jobs, one by one and find out which job(s) is the root cause.
Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:59 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: