SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Scheduling Microsoft Access Queries

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Scheduling Microsoft Access Queries
shawn29316

Post Scheduling Microsoft Access Queries Reply with quote
Hi,

I've just purchased the software and have made a good bit of progress understanding it but I'm stuck when it comes to opening ACCESS queries. I don't know JAL so I'm trying to do it by sending keystrokes. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to use keystrokes to be sure I'm on the "Queries" object, then do control-home to get to the top of the list of queries and use the {DOWN} command to move down to the right query. That works but every time I create a new query I'll have to make sure it goes to the bottom of the list. That's manageable but there has to be a better way.

Thanks,
Shawn
Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sending keystrokes should be used only as a very last resort. The method is not reliable by definition. What if the target window is not in focus and the keystroke reaches some other application? What if your anti-virus or windows update pops up a message in a middle of keystroke processing? etc...

As far as I understand, all you want to do is to run a query. Right?

Here is how you can do it without JAL.
1. Create an ODBC connection pointing to your Access file (Control Panel/Admin Tools/ODBC Manager). Make sure the connection is defined on system DSN tab not file DSN.
2. In 24x7 create a connection profile for the ODBC connection. (Tools/Database Profiles menu) Select ODBC interface, click New button, complete the profile and test the connection
3. Create a new job; choose Database as the job type; select the created profile in the drop-down list, paste the query text. Schedule as required. That's all and it is much more reliable by definition than the keystrokes method.

4. Repeat step 3 for other queries creating as many jobs as required.
Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
shawn29316

Post Reply with quote
WOW! I really was taking the long path. If you can answer a couple of more questions, I think I can handle this. First, one of the queries I need to run prompts the user for a start and end date. Those should be the dates for the previous week's Sunday and Friday. Can I populate those automatically? And second, I normally would export the output of one of the queries to Excel so I can email that file to a distribution list. I don't know how to export the output nor have I figured out how to send email through Lotus Notes. Can you help?

Thanks,
Shawn
Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:38 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yes, it is sure possible. You can replace these parameters with a simple formula using DateAdd function and @D macro-variable available in 24x7. For example, the formula for last week's Monday would be
DateAdd("d", -7, '@D2"yyyy-mm-dd"')

The @D2 returns current weeks Monday then DateAdd subtracts 7 days to get last week's Monday.

Here is a more functional example. Perhaps you want to copy records from table SourceTable into TargetDatble for a date range from Friday of last week to Sunday of this week.

Code:
INSERT INTO TargetTable
SELECT *
FROM SourceTable
WHERE my_date_column BETWEEN DateAdd("d", -7, '@D6"yyyy-mm-dd"') AND '@D1"yyyy-mm-dd"'

Theoretically you can perform all necessary date calculations in the query using only standard date functions, it is just much easier and more efficient to use macro-variables available in 24x7. For details please see the macro-parameters topic in 24x7 help system.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:17 am View user's profile Send private message
shawn29316

Post Reply with quote
This kind of thing is going to make life so much easier once I get it to work. I pasted your where statement into my query and receive an error saying "Too few parameters. Expected 1." My where statement reads:

WHERE YearIssu.DATE BETWEEN DateAdd("d", -7, '@D6"yyyy-mm-dd"') AND '@D1"yyyy-mm-dd"'

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Shawn
Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Do you paste into the query in 24x7 job properties or into the query in the Access query window?

If in 24x7, please try using double-quotes instead of single quotes.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:36 am View user's profile Send private message
shawn29316

Post Reply with quote
I pasted into 24x7. I replaced the single quotes with double quotes and received the message "Too few parameters. Expected 3." My where statement now is:

WHERE YearIssu.Date BETWEEN DateAdd("d", -7, "@D6"yyyy-mm-dd"") AND "@D1"yyyy-mm-dd""
Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Looks like it doesn't like DateAdd function in the query. I ran a quick search on the Internet and found out that this is a known issue with old Microsoft Jet driver (aka Access ODBC driver v3.5 and earlier) described in several Microsoft Knowledge base articles, for example, in 239104 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239104 This article describes some issues with the Sandbox mode, but the real problem is a bug in Microsoft Jet 3.5 driver, which requires SP3 update. The article also describes how to turn off the sandbox mode.
Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
By the way, in this particular case, a workaround is not to use the DateAdd function and change the query as below

Code:
WHERE YearIssu.Date BETWEEN #@D6"yyyy-mm-dd"# - 7 AND #@D1"yyyy-mm-dd"#

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
shawn29316

Post Reply with quote
Perfect!

- Thanks
Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: