SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Intellisense missing in this circumstance

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Intellisense missing in this circumstance
toast

Post Intellisense missing in this circumstance Reply with quote
Hi,

SqlAssistant 2.0.13 BETA isn't behaving as I'd expect it. That is, the same as Visual Studio's Intellisense.

In VB.NET if I have the following

Code:

Public Sub toast(ByVal toasty As Object)
    toastyz
End Sub

Then type a dot in front of the z, then Intellisense displays showing the methods for the object toasty. Below SqlAssistant doesn't have that same behavior.

Code:

SELECT
FROM
   sysobjects obj
INNER JOIN
   syscolumns col
ON
   obj.id = colz.id

If I type in a dot in front of the z character then I'd expect SqlAssistant to pop up a list of syscolumns' columns but it doesn't.

Code:

SELECT
FROM
   sysobjects obj
INNER JOIN
   syscolumns col
ON
   obj.id = col.z.id

If I then put another dot in front of the dot I just typed then SqlAssistant does pop up the list of syscolumns' columns.

It's the same whether I use aliases or not. That is, if I put a dot in front of the z below the behaviour is the same as described above.

Code:

SELECT
FROM
   sysobjects
INNER JOIN
   syscolumns
ON
   sysobjects.id = syscolumnsz.id

I'm still really enjoying this product, well done!
Wed May 02, 2007 10:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That's because it looks at "col.z.id", and it doesn't know what to do about it. This is a valid syntax which could represent database "col", schema "z", object "id" or schema "col", object "z", col "id." How can it guess that in col.z.id you refer to "col" alias?

To get the popup where you want, type a space (dot, comma, tab, any no-character) between col and z and then move left 1 character and type dot, or simply press CTRL+Space to force the popup at the current cursor position.

Hope this helps
Wed May 02, 2007 11:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
toast

Post Reply with quote
I certainly understand that if I press space to seperate everything then it will work happily and behave as I expect.

Code:

SELECT
FROM
   sysobjects
INNER JOIN
   syscolumns
ON
   sysobjects.id = syscolumnsz

But if I put the dot before the z in this instance I'd expect it to show the syscolumns columns, but it doesn't. I can certainly understand that it's bad for applications to 'guess' because there's nothing worse than making a bad guess.

I trust you that for more complicated reasons it's not possible to show it because of the reasons you describe. I've certainly learnt to put spaces between stuff to get SqlAssistant to work well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks
Wed May 02, 2007 11:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: