SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
DB Audit Reporting

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
DB Audit Reporting
jrunt

Post DB Audit Reporting Reply with quote
I have DB Audit installed and generating system trail information that satisfies my needs. I am currently working on trying to get reporting to work correctly for me.

I have 4 databases that I am monitoring in Oracle. I woud like to print the detail system audit trail daily for those databases and then save that information in report format for future reference.

Since I have 4 database is there a way I can put the database connection in the header of the report? Or can I modify this header at all?

Also, is the only way to automate these reports via the 24x7 scheduler product or can I use our inhouse scheduling package?

thanks in advance!

judy.runt@we-energies.com
Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You can of course use any reporting tool you like. The audit trail data is stored in the database. Crystal Reports, Oracle Forms and many other tools can be used for this job. It just it might be a lot easier to use the Alert Center that comes with DB Audit then reinvent the wheels. With the Alert Center you can easily design new report queries or use pre-built reports and schedule them as needed. The Alert Center based reports can be designed to include server name as one of the columns displayed on the report. Moreover, you can use the Alert Center to setup a central repository to store audit trails from all servers and have each report cover all audited servers at once. This way you can avoid sending multiple reports and also get a big picture of what is going on.
Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
jrunt

Post Reply with quote
I am still trying to set up the central repository and alert center. I am having issues connecting from my desktop gui. Havn't had enough time to review and get working yet.
Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you get any errors or messages, please let us know what you get so we can start helping you.
Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
jrunt

Post Reply with quote
I did get the central repository up and functioning for the most part. I am just working on how to best organize and store it in our environment. At this point I don't have a SQL Server that I can dedicate to it and am running it on a DBA server. We typically used shared DB servers (SQL also) in our environment and do not let other apps run there. So, I need to work on setting up an environment outside our normal shared environement so I can run the alert center and DB on the same server. I currently don't have licensing to do that.

From what I can tell, the Repository DB can not be set up unless alert center is available on the same machine. Or, am I missing something?
Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The alert center and the repository db can be on different machines. It only needs a regular connection to the database. Nothing is really special. The repository database can be virtually any Oracle, SQL Server or DB2 UDB database. It is just with SQL Server you have more choices for how the data can be replicated to the repository. So if you don't have a spare SQL Server or space you can pick some other database. The repository database can be of course hosted on one of the audited servers, but then people who have access to the server will have access to the repository, which you likely don't want to happen.
Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: