SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Install problems

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
Install problems
claymuir

Post Install problems Reply with quote
Installation problems

Product DB Tools 6.0

Installing the client side tools only is no problem, they install and work just as claimed

Installing the server side is a whole different story

First problem

when I attempt to run the script install.sql the script fails from the defines all the way through. I tried setting the DEFINES manually on the OS and from within SQLPlUS - neither helps. Because the defines do not work basically every other line in the script fails.

I am capable of completely re-writing the entire script but its not something I really want to do

Output of SQLPLUS -

SQL> @install
SP2-0136: DEFINE requires an equal sign (=
SP2-0158: unknown SET option "user_data"
SP2-0158: unknown SET option "temp_data"
SP2-0158: unknown SET option "index_data"
Enter value for user_data:
User requested Interrupt or EOF detected.

Second problem

Within the script there is mention of a repository. No where in the "DB Tools for Oracle User's Guide" section Installation is a repository mentioned. So can you give me some explanation of what the repository is and how I install it in the way your other scripts is going to expect? Also, since the script only mentions one repository despite multiple installations of DBtools ora_monitor how is the connection made? Using DBLinks?

Final Question

What I want to use are the following features
1) DB Monitor - full features
2) DB Tuning Expert
3) Performance Library
4) DB Benchmark Expert

What is the min scripts I need to run against the instance(s) to accomplish this? I ask because it looks likely I will have to reproduce all your scripts in order to install. If that is going to be a lot of script rewrites I might look to another product
Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:19 am View user's profile Send private message
claymuir

Post Reply with quote
So far I have changed the beginning of your script to

/******************************************************************************
* This database side setup is optional.
* This script will create ORA_MONITOR user, schema and objects that are required
* in order to use some DB Tools features.
* All created objects can be easily uninstalled by dropping the entire ORA_MONITOR
* schema
* >> Use SYS or other administrative account to install the repository.
* >> Before running this script set below names tablespaces, in which you
* want to host objects required for the repository.
* >> To install repository for DB Difference Expert run DB Difference then
* select File/Options menu (in DB Difference).
* >> Run this script on every database that you want to analyze. Note that
* DB Difference repository is centralized and shared by all databases.
* You should install DB Difference repository in one database only. Also
* note that this script does not include DB Trends, which can be installed
* separately. To install DB Trends, run TRENDS.SQL using DB Monitor Expert.
******************************************************************************/

SPOOL install.log

/******************************************************************
Create ORA_MONITOR user
******************************************************************/

CREATE TABLESPACE user_data
DATAFILE SIZE 100M
AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 32M MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
UNIFORM SIZE 8M;

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp_data
TEMPFILE SIZE 100M
EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
UNIFORM SIZE 8M;

CREATE TABLESPACE index_data
DATAFILE SIZE 100M
EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
UNIFORM SIZE 8M;

CREATE USER ora_monitor IDENTIFIED BY imonitor
DEFAULT TABLESPACE user_data
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp_data
QUOTA unlimited ON user_data
QUOTA unlimited ON index_data;

GRANT CREATE SESSION TO ora_monitor;
GRANT SELECT ANY TABLE TO ora_monitor;
GRANT ANALYZE ANY TO ora_monitor;
GRANT CREATE TABLE TO ora_monitor;

Of course this takes away the ability to easily change the file names but since the script was not working anyway. Also, the script does not mention the reason why those defines are there so its likely many people would not even realize. I would say if that section needs to be there it should prompt the user with an explanation of why echo'ed to the screen - that is just me though

Anyway

Now the tablespaces and user get created however the first time the code reaches the { it stops

What are these scripts intended to run under? Surely not SQLPLUS
Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:30 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There is a better way to do that. Use the Database Setup utility, you can find it in DB Tools Launch Pad and in DB Tools folder in Windows Start menu. Using this utility you can select features and components you want to install on the back-end. Don't install everything at once, all monitors, all stats collection packages, profilers, etc... That may significantly impact your database server performance. Install only the components you need now. They can be easily uninstalled later (procedures and jobs can be just disabled or dropped) and/or swapped with other components.

By the way, SQL scripts you found in the DB Tools home directory have been designed for DB Tools SQL Editor, not SQL*Plus. Some of them rely on certain extensions that are supported by the editor, such as predefined substitution-variables referenced in DEFINE instructions, this DEFINE is not the same thing as DEFINE in SQL*Plus.
Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:38 am View user's profile Send private message
claymuir

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
There is a better way to do that. Use the Database Setup utility, you can find it in DB Tools Launch Pad and in DB Tools folder in Windows Start menu. Using this utility you can select features and components you want to install on the back-end. Don't install everything at once, all monitors, all stats collection packages, profilers, etc... That may significantly impact your database server performance. Install only the components you need now. They can be easily uninstalled later (procedures and jobs can be just disabled or dropped) and/or swapped with other components.

By the way, SQL scripts you found in the DB Tools home directory have been designed for DB Tools SQL Editor, not SQL*Plus. Some of them rely on certain extensions that are supported by the editor, such as predefined substitution-variables referenced in DEFINE instructions, this DEFINE is not the same thing as DEFINE in SQL*Plus.

Using the database setup utility is not working, that is why I looked into the scripts

Using the utility also presents several problems. For instance there is no mention on the respository anywhere in the instructions, I need to know more about it. I also need to make certain all the scripts are running isolated to the ora_monitor user. By just using the application I have no way of knowing for certain that will happen. You guys have an outstanding application (or group of applications), a extensive manual but have fallen short on the install part which is of great concern to most DBA's. Any chance you could issue a seperate install guide with complete instructions?

Thanks about the advice on the SQL Editor, that explains a lot. I was sure it was not SQLPLUS when I read it. I am still stuck with the problem of the scripts no working though.
Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
All back-end objects are created in a single ORA_MONITOR schema, no changes of any kind are made outside of that schema other then DBMS_JOBS scheduled jobs for running procedures in that schema. The schema tables are going to be located in the tablespace you choose for ORA_MONITOR user, same for table indexes.

When you say, it doesn't work, please describe what exactly doesn't work. If you get an error, please let us know the complete error text so we can help you to resolve that issue.

It is possible to install all of that manually using .SQL scripts in the home directory and scripts located in dbsetup.zip folder – I mean files with numeric extensions. Still it is much easier and faster to use the graphical Database Setup utility.

Last edited by SysOp on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 am View user's profile Send private message
claymuir

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
All back-end objects are created ina single ORA_MONITOR schema, not changes of any kind are made outside of that schema other then DBMS_JOBS jobs running procedures in that schema. The schema tables are going to be located in the tablespace you choose for ORA_MONITOR user, same for table indexes.

When you say, it doesn't work, please describe what exactly doesn't work. If you get an error, please let us know the complete error text so we can help you to resolve that issue.

It is possible to install all of that manually using .SQL scripts in the home directory and scripts located in dbsetup.zip folder – I mean files with numeric extensions. Still it is much easier and faster to use the graphical Database Setup utility.

Your installer does not create the Ora_Monitor schema for you because it does not know what tablespace to use

There for you have to manually create the tablespaces or put the files inside tablespaces reserved for production data

However, even after the tablespaces are created several things do not work correctly.

Last week when I first posted I could have given you as much details as you wanted but I resolved it manually the day after I posted
Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:32 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
What do you mean by "installer does not create the Ora_Monitor schema for you because it does not know what tablespace to use?"

There is a drop-down box for you to select one of the existing tablespace. Whatever you select, that is going to be used for the ORA_MONITOR schema. What the drop-down list empty?
Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:28 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: