SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
DB Mail is hopeless

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
DB Mail is hopeless
Creed

Post DB Mail is hopeless Reply with quote

The first release of DB Mail I downloaded had problems staying connected to the database. I know it was DB Mail that was responsible for losing the connection because the next release of DB Mail (1.3) fixed the problem (I'm not talking about the error handling reconnecting it automatically, I mean it just didn't drop anymore after I upgraded, which was great). The only problem is that the error handling had bugs working with MS Outlook MAPI (It didn't work). No problem.... at least it wasn't losing connection anymore.

Well, the latest release of DB Mail has fixed the problem you had with the error handling not working properly with Outlook MAPI; however, now it frequently drops connection with the database again and the error handling is unable to make it reconnect on it's own, so I have to press the "Reconnect" button manually.

I have since reverted back to version 1.3 of the software so that it will stay connected to the database (even though it has problems with Outlook MAPI).

I hope you keep trying to fix the problems in your software because if not, I'm ashamed to admint spending $350 for it.

Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Re: DB Mail is hopeless Reply with quote

Here we go again... Below is the proof that DB Mail does NOT DROP the connection.

This is the connection schema (DB Mail Console loads own Oracle driver, which in turn loads Oracle OCI and asks for SQL*Net connection)

(DB Mail Console)
-->
(DBMS Driver)
-->
(Oracle OCI - Oracle Call Interface)
-->
(SQL*Net)
-->
(Network)
-->
(Oracle Server)

DB Mail Console periodically polls message pipe on the server by sending certain SQL queries to the database. After every query it checks operation return code which passed back by SQL*Net and then by Oracle OCI.

If DB Mail Console were to drop the connection it would have to unload Oracle OCI and terminate session. If this is the case, the next time a query is sent to the database without an active connection it would blow the Console.

The connection errors trapped by DB Mail are SQL*Net errors ("unable to complete...", "host not found..." and similar) and server errors ("shutdown in progress" and similar). Because you say that DB Mail was able to reconnect in the past, so that proofs DB Mail had detected these sorts of errors. Please check your DB Mail log for details and specific error codes. And because you get these errors I can assure you that the connection is lost somewhere in your SQL*Net-->Network-->Server chains. I am wondering if you are running DB Mail Console on some Windows 9x computer.

=====================================
Anyway, I would like to suggest that you email screenshots of your DB Mail Console options to support@softtreetech.com so we can help you to setup it properly. Your DB Mail log also would be helpful. Please also provide the following information: SQL*Net version; Oracle client version (right click on OCI.DLL then go to Properties and check version tab), Oracle server version, Operation System version on the Console computer.

If there are bugs on our side, we will fix them as quickly as possible! Our goal is to have our clients be satisfied with our products.

: The first release of DB Mail I downloaded had problems staying connected to
: the database. I know it was DB Mail that was responsible for losing the
: connection because the next release of DB Mail (1.3) fixed the problem
: (I'm not talking about the error handling reconnecting it automatically, I
: mean it just didn't drop anymore after I upgraded, which was great). The
: only problem is that the error handling had bugs working with MS Outlook
: MAPI (It didn't work). No problem.... at least it wasn't losing connection
: anymore.

: Well, the latest release of DB Mail has fixed the problem you had with the
: error handling not working properly with Outlook MAPI; however, now it
: frequently drops connection with the database again and the error handling
: is unable to make it reconnect on it's own, so I have to press the
: "Reconnect" button manually.

: I have since reverted back to version 1.3 of the software so that it will
: stay connected to the database (even though it has problems with Outlook
: MAPI).

: I hope you keep trying to fix the problems in your software because if not,
: I'm ashamed to admint spending $350 for it.

Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: