SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Few Suggestions

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Few Suggestions
sangha

Post Few Suggestions Reply with quote
1.) Show SQL Reference feature is cool. It would be great if it could remember the width. I have to resize the width each time I open it. Also an option to dock it on either left or right side of the window would be good.

2.) When I am writing a join query after typing ON SQL Assistant should display the drop down to select the JOIN fields. It does so when I type =.

3.) Is there an option to change "ENTER" key as the option to select an item from the drop down. Being able to use "TAB" would be a good option.

4.) It would be great to be able to select functions from the list while typing a SELECT query.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
1.) Show SQL Reference feature is cool. It would be great if it could remember the width. I have to resize the width each time I open it. Also an option to dock it on either left or right side of the window would be good.

Hmm, I am not sure if this is easy as it could depend on the editor window size and position. I will check with developers if we can handle this in the current version.

Quote:
2.) When I am writing a join query after typing ON SQL Assistant should display the drop down to select the JOIN fields. It does so when I type =.

It should work the same after ON, in fact after JOIN ... ON the popup should contain on top of the list ready to paste expressions like tab1.col = tab2.col. Please verify you have foreign keys between joined tables.

Also, if you need to get the SQL Assistant popup on the screen with contextual list of columns/objects press CTRL+Space at any time.

Quote:
3.) Is there an option to change "ENTER" key as the option to select an item from the drop down. Being able to use "TAB" would be a good option.

In the current version we only support Enter key. I know many people who code in VB and some other Microsoft tools are used to Tab key, which is a kind of unnatural choice. Nowhere in Windows or any other OS, Tab is used as a selection key for lists or any other control type.

I personally would love to meet Microsoft guys who decided to use Tab in the first place and ask them what were they thinking at that time.

Anyway, we may add an option in future builds to allow users choose, which key is used as a selection key, but for now please use Enter. On the good side Enter key is close to navigation keys so only one hand is needed to scroll the list, highlight the needed item and pick it, the typing is faster and more efficient.

Quote:
4.) It would be great to be able to select functions from the list while typing a SELECT query.

Do you mean built-in system functions or user-defined functions?
Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:

Quote:

Do you mean built-in system functions or user-defined functions?

Having both in the list would be great.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
It should work the same after ON, in fact after JOIN ... ON the popup should contain on top of the list ready to paste expressions like tab1.col = tab2.col. Please verify you have foreign keys between joined tables.

Yes, you are right I did not have a foreign key.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
User-defined functions are already handled and should appear in the list including both scalar and table functions in SQL Server and all user-defined functions in Oracle as well as Oracle packages and packaged functions.

If you don't get them listed please let us know which environment you use so we can figure out why they are not displayed.

I think system functions can be in theory displayed in groups under a separate special item "System Functions" in order not put them all into the same list and make the list too busy and difficult to use. From the mentioned special item you could then select the required function category, for example, "String Functions" and there select the required function. I can submit this as an enhancement request for the next version.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
In DB Connections while setting a new connection for SQL Server 'DB name' is used to specify name of server. It would be nice if there was a setting to specify name of database too.
While working in editors like wordpad etc it would be helpful to work directly with objects in a database than going through the list of databases first.
This setting can be optional. If no database name has been entered then it can work as it is currently working.
Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your suggestion!
Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Starting with version 1.0.57 you can change the default selection key from Enter to Tab or use both.
Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:52 am View user's profile Send private message
sangha

Post Reply with quote
I tried the new version. Tab is working.

I noticed while doing the install over the existing installation the settings(options) that I had made(changed or deleted) are all restored to default. After every installation I have to customise my settings again. I message to ask to keep existing settings or overwrite settings would be nice.

Also the setup has installed a SQL connection for server (2004DELL).
Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. The setup is supposed to copy old settings into the new config files and don't overwrite them.

We will look into this issue.
Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: