SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Problem when using with local SQLExpress

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Problem when using with local SQLExpress
GebissetDK

Post Problem when using with local SQLExpress Reply with quote
Hi,

Whenever I use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (NOT the one from the SQL Express package) and connects to my local SQLEXPRESS (SQLEXPRESS with advanced services), the SQL Assistant everytime pops up and asks for server info.

Furthermore the SQL Assistant doesn't provide any "intellisense" when typing queries.

When I connect to one of our SQL2005 instances on Windows 2003 servers I don't have this problem - the SQL Assistant remembers connection info.

Do you have a solution for this?

Regards
Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There are separate 2 issues
1. Connection.
If the connection is made using ODBC then SQL Assistant can intercept it and join the existing connection silently. In that case, the Connect dialog doesn't popup. If the connection is made using ADO DB, it needs to open a separate connection and then the Connect dialog appears on your screen.

2. "intellisense"
If SQL Assistant is unable to query system catalog tables or these queries return unusable results, then SQL popups don't appear. This is likely a permission issue for the account you are using. You can verify that if you copy and paste the used catalog queries from SQL Assistant options (from the DB Options tab) into the editor and execute them manually. start with a top level for the databases and then try Objects, Joins, and so on. Check which query returns no results or returns errors. If this is the case try a different account, you can choose to logon using SQL Server authentication or Windows authentication method.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
GebissetDK

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
1. Connection.
If the connection is made using ODBC then SQL Assistant can intercept it and join the existing connection silently. In that case, the Connect dialog doesn't popup. If the connection is made using ADO DB, it needs to open a separate connection and then the Connect dialog appears on your screen.

The connection is made using OLE DB .NET - I think the entire SQL Server Management Studio uses this.

SysOp wrote:

2. "intellisense"
If SQL Assistant is unable to query system catalog tables or these queries return unusable results, then SQL popups don't appear. This is likely a permission issue for the account you are using. You can verify that if you copy and paste the used catalog queries from SQL Assistant options (from the DB Options tab) into the editor and execute them manually. start with a top level for the databases and then try Objects, Joins, and so on. Check which query returns no results or returns errors. If this is the case try a different account, you can choose to logon using SQL Server authentication or Windows authentication method.

I'm administrator on the machine and Management Studio is using Windows Integrated Security and so is the SQL Assistant. Maybe the SQLEXPRESS has to allow remote connections - I'll look into this tomorrow.
Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
GebissetDK wrote:
Quote:
SysOp wrote:
1. Connection.

The connection is made using OLE DB .NET - I think the entire SQL Server Management Studio uses this.

As of build 1.0.58 SQL Assistant can intercept SSO type connection made from SQL Server Management Studio to SQL Server 2005 databases and silenly use them without openning a separate connection to the database and displaying a connection prompt.
Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: