SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Possible Bug with Capitalization Feature

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Possible Bug with Capitalization Feature
heironimus

Post Possible Bug with Capitalization Feature Reply with quote
For these examples I am using the “Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” that comes with SQL Server 2005 SP1.

Scenario #1:
I added the keyword varchar to the list of keywords SQL Assistant will look for in SQL Server databases. When I type the following line the word varchar will be capitalized as I expect (note the space between the word varchar and the open parenthesis:
Code:
DECLARE @TradingPartnerName AS varchar (40)

If I entered the following line the word varchar will not be capitalized (no space between the word varchar and the open parenthesis):
Code:
DECLARE @TradingPartnerName AS varchar(40)

Scenario #2:
I enter the word begin on a line by itself and press Space before pressing Enter, the word begin will be capitalized. If I enter the word begin on a line by itself and press Enter without first hitting Space, the word begin will not be capitalized.
Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Try entering "varchar(" as a keyword.

For SQL Assistant all keywords are equal. It uses space, tab, enter and semicolon as keyword separator symbols, any other symbol makes entered text a non-keyword
Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
heironimus

Post Reply with quote
That works if I enter a space after the open parenthesis, but I would rather have a space between the VARCHAR and the open parenthesis and a space after the open parenthesis and the number.

You might want to consider adding the open parenthesis character as a keyword separator or better yet make the keyword separators user configurable.

What about Scenario #2? The Enter key does not seem to be working as a keyword separator.
Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Scenario #2:
I enter the word begin on a line by itself and press Space before pressing Enter, the word begin will be capitalized. If I enter the word begin on a line by itself and press Enter without first hitting Space, the word begin will not be capitalized.

For this to work, you need to install a more recent build. As far as I remember, handling for the enter key was added couple of days ago in build 1.0.48 -- the last one is 1.0.49, which was made available today.
Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
heironimus

Post Reply with quote
I just downloaded and installed the product today. I am running Version 1.0.49 BETA.
Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This works just fine for me. I tried several different types of SQL editors and in all of them I found it working.

Which editor are you using?
Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
heironimus

Post Reply with quote
The application that has a problem is Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Version 9.00.2047.00 (this is the version that comes with SQL Server 2005 SP1).

SQL Query Analyzer Version 8.00.2039 does not have this problem.
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:43 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I see now. I can reproduce this in SSMS, but it works everywhere else.
Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:40 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: