SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.3.279 Pro] - Command Selector - item order

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.3.279 Pro] - Command Selector - item order
gemisigo

Post [11.3.279 Pro] - Command Selector - item order Reply with quote
Is there a way to change the order of items in the Command Selector popup? Or an option to remove/disable some items?
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:45 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Im afraid not. Its purpose is to provide a single place where everyone is shown together, menus, snippets, code generation scripts, executable plugins, etc... and where they can be searched and accessed quickly.
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:34 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Another example when having a large number of otherwise very useful snippets gets in the way. They are at the top of the Command Selector list and even if I type the entire command I want to execute, there might (will) be dozens (or even hundreds of snippets for shorter commands) still in front of that command. Check this short video here.

Also, as the input box for the filter is a dropbox hitting Up/Down arrows or PgUp/Dn only retrieves entries in the filter history, and I've found no way to switch the focus to the list items only using the keyboard so I have to grab the mouse to scroll down and click the desired command.

All this distills down to Command Selector helping with neither searching nor accessing features and definitely not quickly.

I know I was the one that requested the Command Selector to be able to filter on snippet contents but it might not have been the greatest idea after all. It works quite well when there are only a few snippets, but it degrades rather quickly as the number of snippets increases. Not much can be done about that, I guess, but perhaps reordering the contents of the Command Selector so that the snippets be at the bottom could mitigate some of the damage done.
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you had an option to hide some stuff, what would you hide?
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:56 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
The stuff I'd use frequently but is a bit complicated to reach is Advanced Text Processor. I find those highly useful for some routine operations during code debugging. Alas, snippets always get in the way, so if I could, I'd hide those, though sometimes the ability to search for parts of the snippets comes in handy, when I forget the name I'm looking for. Which tends to happen quite frequently for the seldom-used ones. I think moving the snippets down to the bottom of the list would provide the best of both worlds.

Is there a way to move the focus from the filter to the list items? I mean a way that does not involve using the mouse. That would also speed things up a notch.

EDIT: okay, I figured out that it is able to move the focus from the filter editbox to the list items as long as I have not clicked the filter editbox. Which I've usually done because when the command selector filter appeared I could enter character but it showed no cursor and responded to none of the cursor movement keys (arrows, home, end) so I had to backspace all the way back to any typing errors committed and reenter the text after fixing the typing errors instead of simply "arrowing" back to the location of the mistake and fix it there. Now, as soon as I click the editbox, it changes from this

to this

that can be dropped down for some history, the Right/Left Arrows and Home/End keys can navigate the entered string, and the PgUp/PgDown can traverse filter history

but in return, it no longer allows switching from the text entry to the list only using the keyboard.
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:23 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
FYI, we are investigating if something simple can be done for the next maintenance version, perhaps a menu with names of top level item categories that would allow turning them on and off, similar to how in the Database Explorer you can choose to show system objects, extended properties, extended set or basic set of objects, etc...
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That sounds promising, thank you very much!
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: