SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.0.35 Pro] - Strange behavior of Database Explorer

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.0.35 Pro] - Strange behavior of Database Explorer
gemisigo

Post [11.0.35 Pro] - Strange behavior of Database Explorer Reply with quote
I've experienced some strange behavior in Database Explorer. Resizing the columns does some weird things but I can't really describe it, so let me just put this short video here.
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:16 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your post. We will investigate it as soon as possible and get back to you with out findings.
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Apparently that is a feature. The Extended Properties column supports both displaying and editing extended properties in place. The properties are typically used for object, column, and parameter comments, which can be updated right here. You can double click the field and type the new text. When you resize the Attributes column you see that comments entry field in the selected row overlap with the date time value in the Attributes column.
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
The "weirdness" was that the overlapping part displaced the date but only on the currently selected row.
By the way, it's a nice feature. I played a bit with it couldn't make it edit the extended property on most objects (cols, parameter, etc.), it usually expands/collapses, however, it works on F2 too. The contents of the extended properties have minor issues displaying utf8 text:

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:52 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. Could you please provide a bit more details

1. Which driver type do you use to connect to the database (ODBC, native, ADO)?
2. Is that Maria DB or MySQL?
4. What is the database character set? SHOW VARIABLES LIKE "character_set_database"
3. What is the schema character set? SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA WHERE schema_name = "schemaname"
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:54 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Sure. Here they go:

1. I'm using ODBC.
2. It's MariaDB
3. I connect to two servers. On one of them, the characters are displayed correctly, on the other one they get garbled. Executing SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set%' yields different results for the two servers.
The correct one:

The "wrong" one:

Why is there a difference in client/connection/resultset character sets between the two servers?

4. The schema characters set is utf8 on both servers

By the way, could you assist me in setting up an ADO connection to MariaDB? All my efforts fail. I've got Data Provider set to MySql.Data.MySqlClient (.Net 4) but when I try to connect I only get an error message:
Quote:

Context: Connect
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Renci.SshNet, Version=2016.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1cee9f8bde3db106' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Server=172.16.3.43;Port=3306;Database=nejp9;Uid=dev_gem;Pwd=**************;Connection Timeout=10;

I've searched for files starting with Renci and I've got three of them:
Quote:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Renci.SshNet\v4.0_2016.1.0.0__c5687fc88969c44d\Renci.SshNet.dll
C:\Program Files\ShareX\Renci.SshNet.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Connector Net 8.0.17\Assemblies\v4.5.2\Renci.SshNet.dll

Why is it not found? Does it need some additional settings tweaked?
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:01 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for the details. I will pass it to the team and hopefully that will help them understand the root cause of the character encoding issue and how to resolve it

As for ADO. I'm almost certain, it's looking for this file C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Renci.SshNet\v4.0_2016.1.0.0__c5687fc88969c44d\Renci.SshNet.dll
The file is in the global GAC cache and there should be no issues with finding it. I suspect it's not that file but one of it's dependencies cannot be satisfied, and so it cannot be used.

A quick Google search revealed that there is a known issue with MySQL Connector Net 8.0.17 and reverting to version 8.0.16 should resolve the issue. The installation files for MySQL Connector Net 8.0.16 can be found here http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.mysql.com/Downloads/Connector-Net/

Last edited by SysOp on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Thank you very much.

Also thanks for the hints regarding ADO, it was a real pain in the back being stuck with ODBC & Native.
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Can we ask you to try two quick things?

1. Execute SET character_set_results = 'utf8'; and then refresh DB Explorer. Does this make a difference
2. Try native driver connection using libMariaDB.dll. Same results or different?
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
When using ODBC with Driver={MariaDB ODBC 3.1 Driver}, character_set_results=utf8 is garbled but latin1 is good.
When using ODBC with Driver={MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver} then utf8 is good too. Using native or ADO also works with utf8.

I hate all those different character sets.
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:53 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. This is very helpful.
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:53 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
FYI, in version 11.1 the connection settings will feature new Character Code Page property allowing to choose different client side code pages for to match server settings. I hope this would help with the issues like the one we discussed in this message thread.
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:44 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That will be great, thanks for the feedback. Is there any info available on the ETA of 11.1?
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:51 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We expect it sometime in November. I cannot provide a specific date, the date hasn't been confirmed yet.
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: