SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.0.35 Pro] - Data Generator, adding tables is slow

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.0.35 Pro] - Data Generator, adding tables is slow
gemisigo

Post [11.0.35 Pro] - Data Generator, adding tables is slow Reply with quote
Adding one table to the Test Data Generator is okay. Adding more often runs into trouble. While it is just mildly inconvenient waiting for individual tables (some of them takes quite a while, see here here), it turns out that adding all of them from a schema is not something that ends in the foreseeable future. 20 minutes have passed since I selected nejp9 to add all of the tables to the data generator and it still hasn't returned control. It will return, I've made tests where I left it unbothered for hours and it got back eventually, though I don't know how much time it required.

Oh, and it also freezes SQL Editor while it's waiting.
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. Is that always reproducible? Were there backups or other kinds of maintenance jobs running in the background when you captured the video?

Is the effect the same when the cache is hot? What I mean is a case of the cache prepopulated with table column details. One way to force that is to change the database in the editor to the same database you plan on using with the test data gen, and then type SELECT and expand any table to make SQL Assistant retrieve definitions of all table columns from that database into the cache.
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:55 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
On the individual table level, no. On the whole shebang, yes, it is reproducible. Selecting a single table in the data generator is sometimes instant and sometimes it requires a considerable amount of time (several seconds). Expanding the same table in a popup to show the columns is similar. There were no maintenance jobs running on this MariaDB at the time I was using it.

I took the liberty and executed the DB Query for Columns + Keys using the same filters I suppose SA is using when expanding:

Code:

SELECT
   COLUMN_NAME, COLUMN_TYPE,
   CONCAT(
      CASE WHEN EXTRA = 'auto_increment' THEN 'A'
      ELSE SUBSTR(IS_NULLABLE,1,1)/*N,Y*/
      END,
      CASE /*P,F,U*/
       WHEN COLUMN_KEY = 'PRI' THEN 'P'
      WHEN EXISTS (
         SELECT NULL FROM information_schema.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE k
            WHERE k.TABLE_SCHEMA = c.TABLE_SCHEMA AND k.TABLE_NAME = c.TABLE_NAME AND k.COLUMN_NAME = c.COLUMN_NAME
            AND k.REFERENCED_COLUMN_NAME IS NOT NULL
       ) THEN 'F'
      WHEN COLUMN_KEY = 'UNI' THEN 'U'
      ELSE ' '
      END,
      IF(COLUMN_KEY = 'MUL','I','')
    )
FROM
   information_schema.COLUMNS c
WHERE
   TABLE_SCHEMA = :SCHEMA_NAME
AND TABLE_NAME = :OBJECT_NAME
ORDER BY
   ORDINAL_POSITION

Replacing :SCHEMA_NAME and :OBJECT_NAME with schema and table names this query took ~7 seconds, and that's repeatable, subsequent executions run about the same speed. The information_schema.columns table has ~9k records. I think that's a very large amount of time even if that table isn't indexed (is it?). Made some tests and it turned out that subquery in the CASE statement is the thing wrecking the performance here. I changed the WHERE conditions in the subquery to
Code:

SELECT
   COLUMN_NAME, COLUMN_TYPE,
   CONCAT(
      CASE WHEN EXTRA = 'auto_increment' THEN 'A'
      ELSE SUBSTR(IS_NULLABLE,1,1)/*N,Y*/
      END,
      CASE /*P,F,U*/
       WHEN COLUMN_KEY = 'PRI' THEN 'P'
      WHEN EXISTS (
         SELECT NULL FROM information_schema.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE k
            WHERE k.TABLE_SCHEMA = :SCHEMA_NAME AND k.TABLE_NAME = :OBJECT_NAME AND k.COLUMN_NAME = c.COLUMN_NAME
            AND k.REFERENCED_COLUMN_NAME IS NOT NULL
       ) THEN 'F'
      WHEN COLUMN_KEY = 'UNI' THEN 'U'
      ELSE ' '
      END,
      IF(COLUMN_KEY = 'MUL','I','')
    )
FROM
   information_schema.COLUMNS c
WHERE
   TABLE_SCHEMA = :SCHEMA_NAME
AND TABLE_NAME = :OBJECT_NAME
ORDER BY
   ORDINAL_POSITION

and now the replacing the placeholders with the corresponding values the query runs in 15 ms.

Their execution plain is different too (notice DEPENDENT SUBQUERY having Scanned all databases and using no keys when in the old version):
Old
Code:

+--+------------------+-----+----+-------------+-----------------------+-------+---+----+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|id|   select_type    |table|type|possible_keys|          key          |key_len|ref|rows|                             Extra                             |
+--+------------------+-----+----+-------------+-----------------------+-------+---+----+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|1 |PRIMARY           |c    |ALL |             |TABLE_SCHEMA,TABLE_NAME|       |   |    |Using where; Open_frm_only; Scanned 0 databases; Using filesort|
|2 |DEPENDENT SUBQUERY|k    |ALL |             |                       |       |   |    |Using where; Open_full_table; Scanned all databases            |

vs
New
Code:

|id|   select_type    |table|type|possible_keys|          key          |key_len|ref|rows|                             Extra                             |
|1 |PRIMARY           |c    |ALL |             |TABLE_SCHEMA,TABLE_NAME|       |   |    |Using where; Open_frm_only; Scanned 0 databases; Using filesort|
|2 |DEPENDENT SUBQUERY|k    |ALL |             |TABLE_SCHEMA,TABLE_NAME|       |   |    |Using where; Open_full_table; Scanned 0 databases              |

Using this as DB Query for Columns + Keys expanding the table in a popup is now quasi instant. Also, adding all the 221 tables in the Data Generator by checking the schema (instead of individual tables) takes about ~4 minutes instead of approximately half an hour of my previous tries. This, though tolerable, is still very long.
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: