SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[11.0.35 Pro] - Tab switch

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[11.0.35 Pro] - Tab switch
gemisigo

Post [11.0.35 Pro] - Tab switch Reply with quote
Switching tabs connected to different databases takes a ridiculously long time. Switching tabs connected to the same database are fine.

Check this short video here.

EDIT: further tests show that switching between SQL Server tabs (regardless if the same server on not) is okay. Switching back and forth between SQLite and MariaDB is also okay. Switching from SQL Server to SQLite/MariaDB (or vice versa) is slow.
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:15 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you again. We will investigate this as soon as possible.
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
May I ask how many snippets you have approximately for each database type? Why I'm asking that question. When switching to a different database type, the menus have to be "rebuild" for that type. Normally that is quick, but if the number of the database type specific custom code snippets and other custom things is very long, it may add additional time, especially if you use themed interface.

Also possible that the timing is context specific. It may depend on the edit cursor position within the text. Could you please check if it takes the same time when you switch to an empty tab?
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Certainly. The context doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

Snippet numbers as follow (active / total):

- SQL Server: 798 / 899
- MariaDB: 186 / 215
- SQLite: 50 / 61

No, I don't use all of them frequently, only a couple of dozens (a hundred at most) sees everyday use. Many of them are leftovers, put aside for upgrade, or simply an older version of a snippet for backward compatibility with older SQL Server versions.

A dropped most of the snippets in SQL Server and with 4 of them remaining, it's fast. However, I've had roughly the same number (875) when using v10.1, and though quite less, but still a large number (667) of SQL Server snippets when using v9.x, and in neither of them have I experienced this delay, not even in the slightest. This is something new introduced with v11. Could it be the themes? Is there a way to disable that? I left that at (Default) and only changed in Code Compare/Modified Fragment in Theme Colors (which wasn't working). I disabled/unchecked all the Themes Colors in Targets/Theme Colors, regardless, the dropdown menu shows all four of them in Targets/SQL Assistant Code Editor/Theme.

If all else fails then I could (and definitely will) reduce the number of snippets, of course, but this seems to be a loss of functionality.
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. In version 11, the menus in SASE are quite different, instead of one long vertical menu, it's now more organized and spread horizontally. Maybe it's related to the issue.
I have channeled your response back to the team and awaiting their response.
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:42 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This issue has been reproduced and confirmed as a side effect of new themed interfaces in v11. Menu rebuilding is much slower when there are hundreds of snippets listed in the menus.

Here is how we're going to fix it. Only several dozen of snippets will appear in the menu, and if there are more, special "(more...)" item will appear at the end of the menu, which if clicked would open the command palette popup where snippets can be scrolled and filtered too. That is to solve the menu performance issue.
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That's good news. I temporarily solved the issue by removing the snippets from the menu altogether, though it could be useful because Command Selector only shows the first few characters of the snippets, names are not shown. Anyway, I never use either of them for searching for a snippet.
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:05 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Command Selector only shows the first few characters of the snippets
- could you please attach your screenshot demonstrating what you see? I don't quite understand that part. Here is what I get with default settings.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:59 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
There's not much to understand. The problem is not only SA not showing more than a few characters. There's another missing part: their name. The snippets in your screenshot are obviously a balanced mix. You have a few very short and some longer ones. The defaults tend to be single line or single statement snippets. On the other hand, mines are far on the other side of the spectrum. Most of them are very long, usually several pages, their lines counting in hundreds or thousands even. If you check the screenshot below, you can see that multiple ones starting with the same characters/words are not rare either.

Showing the first few characters in those cases does not help much. Most of the time I remember them by their name rather than their contents. So I started adding their names as comments in the first line of every snippet to have some kind of identifier there but that was quickly reverted, as those comments would inevitably have made their way into the code inserted and that would be an unwanted side-effect.

And then there are exceptions, of course. Sometimes I can't recall their names, but I remember some specific part of their code, so at first, I was happy to see that it was possible to search for that. Alas, it only lasted for a short while, until I figured out that only the first few characters are searchable, and that's insufficient most of the times. That was the point where I gave up on using the snippets from the Command Selector. I still use the Command Selector for pretty much everything else (mostly for Advanced Text Processing).

PS. There could be one more great use case for the Command Selector + snippets. The use of the Current Selection of the $CURRENT$ macro is severely limited since it can only be triggered with Alt+number combinations and that only allows for 10 of them. The reason is that you cannot type the snippet name in the editor as it would immediately overwrite the selection. However, you could type its name in the Command Selector while still preserving the selected text (until it's processed by the snippet).
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
May I ask how you prefer to see the snippets code shown to make it easier to locate them?

Or can you add comments to snippet's first line describing their purpose? Such comments would be visible in the menu. Their side effect is that they would be inserted into the code unless they are entered like
@@ /* some display only comment */ @@
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That's a bit more complex than how I'd prefer seeing them and perhaps (surely) I wasn't exactly precise.

"Showing" the first few characters is not the problem, at all. Not showing (and being able to search for) their name simultaneously is and the Command Selector only filter on what it displays, so if I'd like to search for that specific part of the code I do remember instead of its name, that part is likely not be in that first few characters, so it won't work. And this is where the complexity is introduced. Filtering on something that's not displayed. Or you could only display that part of the code where it is found (which could also not work for certain Name Matching Methods, eg. Name Contains Characters from Key String. But that assumes you can filter on the whole snippet text.
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I think I understand now what you mean. The search and filtering is limited to the visible part of the text. I wasn't aware of that behavior.
Let me check if it can be improved and get back to you.
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: