SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Mouse-over Hints ”Info” link can't copy any text

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Mouse-over Hints ”Info” link can't copy any text
takakou

Post Mouse-over Hints ”Info” link can't copy any text Reply with quote
Hi,

Mouse-over Hints is vary useful. Info link shows columns name, data type, comments.
But They are disable to copy.
I want to enable to select text and copy like DDL link.

Thank you.
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Please use the 'Code" hyperlink in the mouse-over balloon instead of Info. This will provide the code for CREATE TABLE from which you can copy what you need.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Since the "show code" feature has been mentioned, I would like to notify, once the source code is shown in SA new opened pane, it doesn't offer search option which I found it missing several times.

Also in pgAdmin3, if function source code has been opened from SQL pane showing preview of the object selected in Object Tree, I spotted two issues:
1. button "Copy to Editor" doesn't work.
2. "Compare with Editor" compares function source originated from both non-editable panes which doesn't make a lot of sense. More to say, because SA shows the function different way than pgadmin (ie pgAdmin hides some SECURITY INVOKER since it's considered default) the comparison process ends up with false positives. See picture bellow. Not a big deal though.

Red arrows shows how did I get to source code SA pane
Orange colors marks buttons mentioned by me and differences in code formatting/commands ordering
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:28 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The icons you circled are generic and they are the same for all target environments\editors. Unfortunately they won't work with pgAdmin in the area you highlighted as the editor above is in the read-only mode and so nothing can be copied to it. However if you use them in the Query tool window, they should work there.
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
I was suspecting that. I think disabling/hiding this buttons in target environments (or its sub-windows) where particular features are not available would improve user experience. Just an idea.
Still, search feature remains more important to me than those buttons ;)
Anyway thank you for the response.
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Here is a limitation for that, as far as I know the SQL Assistant add-on is loaded into an editor window with specific "window class" it doesn't know if that window in a Query tool or somewhere else, nor past that point it cares about the type of the target environment pgAdmin or something else. It's very generic at this point. All it knows the target window class and database type / connection. The Hide/Show behavior would require deep hacking of pgAdmin and making the add-on aware of a particular window placement and context. Perhaps it can detect if the target editor is in read-only mode, and disable actions that depend on editor being able to accept new text. I'm going to check with the developers if that's doable.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am View user's profile Send private message
takakou

Post Reply with quote
Quote:

Please use the 'Code' hyperlink in the mouse-over balloon instead of Info.

I'm sorry late response.

I know Code hyperlink can use instead of Info, but DDL is not column and column comment in same line.

Usually column comments include local language column Name. I use Japanese.I want to search column name via Japanese column comment. At this action, Info window text layout is vary useful.
I want to copy Info text to another editor for search column Name.

I also know Object Explorer tree view includes column comments, but object filter works only object name, not column comments.
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:23 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your response. The "Info" block is na image. I may look like a text, but it's not and so it cannot be searched.

I suggest a different method. Add custom code snippet to the settings with some global hot key assigned to it.

For the snippet code specify the following, including leading and trailing $$ symbols:
$$
SELECT c.objname + ': ' + IsNull(convert(nvarchar(4000), c.[value]), '')
FROM fn_listextendedproperty(default, 'schema', N'$OBJECT(ins_schema, table, view)$', 'table', N'$OBJECT(table, view)$', 'column', default) c
$$

Set the snippet property "Action" to "Insert Output Into Code"

Run the snippet, pick a table with column comments, and see what it does. Hope you will find it usefull
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:51 am View user's profile Send private message
takakou

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your idea!

I tried and it's move fine ,very useful.

Thank you !
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: