SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
FR: Connection indicator in tab

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
FR: Connection indicator in tab
gemisigo

Post FR: Connection indicator in tab Reply with quote
We already have execution indicator on tab (it changes color) and we also have connection indicators (color on status bar). Unfortunately, as these are on the status bar, they can only be seen for a certain tab by clicking it and then glancing at the bottom. Would it be possible to make the connection color manifest on the tab as well? I know that would clash with the execution indicator but it would be mightily helpful in case there are a large number of open tabs connecting to different servers. Perhaps it could blink instead of changing color as a sign of execution.
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Are you connecting by any chance to your servers by IP address and so the server name appearing in the editor tab name isn't helpful? And you cannot use names instead of IPs, right?

In case my guess is correct...
I'd like to suggest a short term workaround. Modify %Systemroot%\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts file, and add descriptive names for your database server, they don't have to be real network names, for example
10.0.2.17 my_production_server # Added by me on 1/1/2017

This change is harmless. But after that you should be able to connect to my_production_server as if it was a real network name, and you would see that descriptive name appearing in the editor tab

For more info on editing Hosts file, please see http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/06/how-to-edit-reset-the-windows-hosts-file/
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:54 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I'm already using that workaround and it works with newly open tabs where the tab name is short (e.g. SQLQuery7.sql). Alas, that's not the case where the tab is linked to a saved file, where most of the times even the file name is not fully shown but abbreviated with an ellipsis and the server name is only visible in the tooltip of the tab.
Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In version 9.2 we are adding the new Tab Manager pane which also can be floated as a window. It will show all open tabs, their database connections and small text preview of the content to help recognize tabs with generic names like SQLQuery55.sql. It should also provide 1-click access to the captured text revisions
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Kinda moving the Document Manager on steroids to its own pane?
Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:34 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'd think it's a separate tool. The issue we are trying to address there is navigation for multiple tabs having generic names but it reaches out to the Document Manager too to show revisions.

By the way, the Document Manager (a.k.a Recent Documents window) can be docked to the bottom or side of the target development environment.
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That's (easter) eggcellent :) thank you very much.
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: