SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.166 Pro] Result set column sizing

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.166 Pro] Result set column sizing
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Good idea. It could also have a context menu item that would switch auto-sizing of width between max(column name, widest column value) and width for widest value only.

Why the vertical setup?
Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:

Why the vertical setup?

Paperless office solution. Much easier to read PDF's in a vertical mode.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Good point. How many displays do you have? Are they all set to vertical?
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
Good point. How many displays do you have. Are they all set to vertical?

Two. One horizontal and one vertical. That way I can browse the web and do stuff in our other apps in house on a 'normal' screen and then our paperless stuff (and for me coding and other database management etc) in the vertical screen.

I should probably have another horizontal just for code and stuff but ... gotta work with what I have.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Is there any way to have the resulting column widths auto-size themselves to the widest returned value for that column

You can double-click column header's right edge and it should resize the width to fit the values just like in Excel.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Could you implement a more elegant/convenient way to do this, please? It becomes irksome having to do this to dozens of columns after each execution. I'm wasting minutes just on this action every day (and I'm afraid to calculate a sum of it on monthly level). Adding some settings to SqlAssist.ini file that could control if this would auto-size to shortest/longest value or column name or some average or to fit screen width or whatsoever would be a welcome.
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:33 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I didn't get any response on this one. Could you provide some feedback, please? Is this request discarded?
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We discussed that internally and I'm afraid we didn't come to an agreement how that can be improved so that works for everyone. The results are very subjective and there multiple downsides from resizing automatically. Just to name a a few

Should it be resized to fit the column values or column headers? That seems to be a case by case issue, it's also subjective, may depend on personal preferences. For example, a result set containing a bunch of columns with yes/no values or dates featuring long column names all starting with a long table name prefix. That's not an uncommon case. If resized automatically to fit names, then only a few values appear visible on the screen, if you start scrolling you loose sight of key columns. If the objective is to fit values, then all column headers would appear the same. There is also a case of result set containing large text values, and so on.

What might be a more practical solution is adding some shortcut somewhere to auto-fit all columns including their headers and values at once.
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I'm sure it's very hard to find a solution that would appeal to most of the users, and one that would please all of them is nigh impossible. Yet there's another thing I'm sure of. The current way it is working, namely that it still truncates the columns in spite of there being plenty of screen space to expand them into works for pretty much no one (or at least it makes not the slightest of sense).

The annoying part of it is that whenever I run a query, the resulting form always returns to this layout where I have to manually resize the columns. Change some parameters, run again, twist widths again. And all that just to see what could have been seen without butchering the column widths one by one in the first place. And that above is a "mild" example. I frequently see two columns, occupying about 20% of the available space, getting truncated. That's plain wrong.

- You could keep the current widths if the query result does not change (I know, that would require keeping history of the recently run queries, but AFAIK you're doing that already anyway, don't you?).
- You could add some settings to the result set tab and let the users decide about their funeral, whether they'd like to see the columns auto-expand/shrink to the content or the header/names or not.
- Even the idea with the shortcut is better. Though I'd make it a turn on/off feature so that one doesn't always make some effort to make it work.

There are tons of ways doing this could be made a bit better. I'm only saying the current way is one of the worst ones.

PS: Sorry for ranting. I've had to run some queries a couple of dozen times and I got a bit tired because of having to constantly widen the columns.
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

In version 11.2 there will be an option to auto-fit all columns with a single click of grid's toolbar icon. Also it will remember previous sizes of manually resized columns in the result sets with matching column names.
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:05 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Great news, eagerly awaiting the update.
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:03 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Hey, v11.1.107 already has that button. Nice!
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: