SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.166 Pro] - FR: Incremental search in SE

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.166 Pro] - FR: Incremental search in SE
gemisigo

Post [SA 9.0.166 Pro] - FR: Incremental search in SE Reply with quote
Incremental search in SQL Editor only marks matches (the selection is black instead of blue). While in that mode, pressing arrow keys or Escape quits it, pressing Enter also quits it with occasionally breaking the line in the current position (I don't know why that happens), hitting Tab inserts a tab at the marked position. The first two methods leave the mark there (except Enter when it inserts newline), which is immediately removed upon moving the caret. I'd like to request a few improvements:

The first is an easy one. Pressing Enter could select the match instead of simply marking it.

The second one might be a bit wicked. Text editor Sublime Text 3 has a hefty feature called Multiple Selections. It's a very powerful ability to edit the text at several locations simultaneously. I don't have illusions about that being something trivial to implement but I guess having another way/hotkey(Tab?) to exit incremental search that would put a marker at every match would be a relatively easy task compared to Multiple Selections. Normally this would go to Find Text dialog but I think incremental search is much more fluid to use. Popping a dialog interrupts workflow more than simply shifting the focus to the bottom of the editor.
Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:54 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Re: [SA 9.0.166 Pro] - FR: Incremental search in SE Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:

The second one might be a bit wicked. Text editor Sublime Text 3 has a hefty feature called Multiple Selections. It's a very powerful ability to edit the text at several locations simultaneously. I don't have illusions about that being something trivial to implement but I guess having another way/hotkey(Tab?) to exit incremental search that would put a marker at every match would be a relatively easy task compared to Multiple Selections. Normally this would go to Find Text dialog but I think incremental search is much more fluid to use. Popping a dialog interrupts workflow more than simply shifting the focus to the bottom of the editor.

I came across ctrl-shift-w which invokes a 'sync edit' for the whole document, or ctrl-shift-s for the 'current selection' which does just the selected. I can change 'desc' to 'asc' along the whole editor real easily. (just a simple example).

Howver SYSOP, Ctrl-Shift-C to unset the sync edit range also seems to invoke Beyond Compare for me. I'm not sure why? I would guess there's another key binding for ctrl-shift-c somewhere in the SQL Editor key mapping but I haven't found it.

*Edit: And Ctrl-Shift-S doesn't seem to invoke the "edit range" sync mode.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
AHH, Ctrl-Shift-C IS in the target options for "Compare Code".

So we have a conflicting hotkey there.

Then Ctrl-Shift-S doesn't invoke the multiple-selection editor for "just the selected items" still.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Re: [SA 9.0.166 Pro] - FR: Incremental search in SE Reply with quote
Mindflux wrote:
I came across ctrl-shift-w which invokes a 'sync edit' for the whole document, or ctrl-shift-s for the 'current selection' which does just the selected. I can change 'desc' to 'asc' along the whole editor real easily. (just a simple example).

That's a good thing I use every day but every now and then I end up copy-pasting the contents of the editor into Sublime because many times the text sync edit anchors to are really only anchors and I have to edit stuff that are at relative offset to those anchors. It also doesn't work on partial matches/fragments.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
I'm trying to do the same thing in Sublime Text 3 and not having luck. I can select a phrase and see it box around the other like phrases, but when I change it the rest stay the same.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Try these from the Find menu:
Quick Find All: selects every occurrence of the current word (caret in it) or current selection for edit. You can either overwrite by typing immediately or move caret with arrow keys and edit the text using the selection as an anchor. Sublime will have a caret at every position.
Quick Add Next: adds current word/selection to the selection and jumps to the next occurrence of it.
Quick Skip Next: jumps to the next occurrence without adding the current one to the selection.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
Try these from the Find menu:
Quick Find All: selects every occurrence of the current word (caret in it) or current selection for edit. You can either overwrite by typing immediately or move caret with arrow keys and edit the text using the selection as an anchor. Sublime will have a caret at every position.
Quick Add Next: adds current word/selection to the selection and jumps to the next occurrence of it.
Quick Skip Next: jumps to the next occurrence without adding the current one to the selection.

Huh well that's pretty cool. $70 is sort of steep though.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Well, yes, it it. That's why I lobby for some of its features to have in SE.
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
Well, yes, it it. That's why I lobby for some of its features to have in SE.

It's a shame you can't run SQL Assistant on the sublime editor.. I tried.

hah
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, I know...

http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24029&highlight=sublime
Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: